Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nV40 and R400 to appear in spring 04 (speculation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nV40 and R400 to appear in spring 04 (speculation)

From extremetech

The NV35 should essentially be an NV30 chip with a 256-bit DDR-1 memory interface bolted on, according to analyst Hans Mosesmann of the Soundview Technology Group.

The NV35 should increase performance over the NV30 by at least 20% in our opinion, at least for most applications," Mosesmann wrote. "However, for those who are looking for unambiguous leadership, we expect that the NV35 will not be much better (if at all), than the current ATI Radeon 9800 in applications with DX9 full precision shading turned on. Not that big a deal really in the overall competitive dynamic, but the enthusiast crowd may be slightly disappointed."

Mosesmann, who correctly predicted Nvidia's early GeForceFX manufacturing problems, also wrote that he expects the NV40 will tape out this fall, but begin production early in 2004.

"Hence, the battleground at the high-end for this fall will probably be a speed/driver tweaked NV35 from Nvidia, and a speed/driver tweaked Radeon 9800 (R350) from ATI," Mosesmann wrote. "Of note, ATI had planned its R400 product for this fall, however three key issues have delayed this chip until spring 2004 given that three major industry dynamics will not hit the market until then: 3GIO, DDR3 memory, and (Microsoft's) DX9 pixel shader 3.0."
    If the above is correct, this means, the graphic battle is halted for this year and we're in only for driver and clock tweaks.

However Spring 04 should be interesting time again.

That means Matrox would still have a chance, if they refocus on Pitou they could become a real performance contender next Spring...

Comment

Well a tapeout in november-january, relase mid year. Could be done if...

Comment

head comes out of arse
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

nah, they should release a card thats about 10-20% faster than nv35 this fall, so they have the performance crown till next spring

Comment

Kinda disagree w/ you guys about Pitou.

I will be very very happy if Matrox can put Pitou out with 80% of R9700 PRO's performance. i.e. around 10000 3dmark2001... meanwhile, getting high 3000s to low 4000s in 3dmark03. Clock the chip to around 300MHz would be great!

They won't need the best peroformance, but should stress 2D and 3D quality, and the potential of FAA.

I am looking at:

- 512bit GPU under 0.13 process, with advanced thermal design similar to R9700's... probably not possible but SOI?
            - 300MHz core, 800MHz memory
            - 128MB for mid range, 256MB for hardcore, 512MB for workstation
            - DDRII SD(G?)RAM
            - 8x4x4 configuration
            - Does not require extra power connector, i.e. ~35W
            - AGP 8X of course
            - Pixel Shaders/Vertex Shaders 3.0
            - BANDWIDTH SAVING TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!!
            - Working FAA algorithem
            - 16x Anisotropic Filtering
            - 128bit FP precision

Come ON! Even S3 can do it... LOL... it shouldn't be too hard for Matrox (assuming Dan Wood is not in )

Anyways... crystalball anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
              - AGP 8X of course
              Those are mutually exclusive IMO at this performance level. Either power connector or AGP pro.

Comment

Matrox does have an opportunity, but not with the gaming market.

They'll need a Parhelia refresh by that time to stay competitive regardless, and Pitou is probably the ticket, with P8X replacing the current Parhelia...
                Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  Those are mutually exclusive IMO at this performance level. Either power connector or AGP pro.
                  True. But hey... they got a 0.15 Parhelia to work without power connectors. A 0.13 may be able to do it, at least I hope. Or maybe 0.09

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the Crystal Ball?
                    System Specs:
                    Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                    May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                    Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                    And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                    just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                    For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                      Kinda disagree w/ you guys about Pitou.

I will be very very happy if Matrox can put Pitou out with 80% of R9700 PRO's performance. i.e. around 10000 3dmark2001... meanwhile, getting high 3000s to low 4000s in 3dmark03. Clock the chip to around 300MHz would be great!

They won't need the best peroformance, but should stress 2D and 3D quality, and the potential of FAA.

I am looking at:

- 512bit GPU under 0.13 process, with advanced thermal design similar to R9700's... probably not possible but SOI?
                      - 300MHz core, 800MHz memory
                      - 128MB for mid range, 256MB for hardcore, 512MB for workstation
                      - DDRII SD(G?)RAM
                      - 8x4x4 configuration
                      - AGP 8X of course
                      - Pixel Shaders/Vertex Shaders 3.0
                      - BANDWIDTH SAVING TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!!!
                      - Working FAA algorithem
                      - 16x Anisotropic Filtering
                      - 128bit FP precision

Come ON! Even S3 can do it... LOL... it shouldn't be too hard for Matrox (assuming Dan Wood is not in )

Anyways... crystalball anyone?
                      1. Use flipchip packaging, 0.13 w/ low-k.
                      2. 500/1GHz like NV30
                      3. Sounds good.
                      4. Sounds good.
                      5. I'd say stick with 4x4, it would be a more reasonable choice, 8 pixel pipelines is way too complicated.
                      6. Hopefully yeah.
                      7. Yes
                      8. No no no, it has to be PS/VS 3+++
                      9. Definitely
                      10. A must have.
                      11. Would be nice, but 8x+Tri would be great as well, and less transistor eating.
                      12. Good

And I guess the thread has shifted direction, so it would probably fit in TCB.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
                        Shouldn't this be in the Crystal Ball?
                        LOL... yea

However, the title is nV40 and R400 to appear in spring 04 (speculation)... so... that means this thread went really offtopic.

@bsdgeek: LOL... 500MHz haha... and we're talking about Matrox. haha. (sorry big M lol) Flip Chip tech... I also thought of that. but do they have to get it off Intel? I doubt Intel sell it to Matrox if it belongs to them.

Comment

Clock speed haggling!
                          bsdgeek: 500MHz!
                          M: 300MHz!
                          bsdgeek: 450MHz
                          M: 400MHz, no more, you're robbing me blind!
                          bsdgeek: Deal!

Comment

Also, I think the word was ATi bought flipchip from Intel...

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                              Also, I think the word was ATi bought flipchip from Intel...
                              Yup that's ture. Someone on this forum I remember somebody (forgot who) says that a Radeon 9800 can be clocked to 500MHz with the standard cooler

Comment

Working...
                              X