X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelias and RGB TV out

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so go easy!

Just in the middle of a very long drawn out process of getting a new machine - which I'd like to be a Home Theatre PC (HTPC) too.

I was waiting for the ATi 9800 AIW to come out, but having read newgroups, I'm beginning to shy away from ATi as it seems their TV quality is not so good, tech support not so good, hardware compatibility is not so good. It looks as if you can't use a monitor and a TV at the same time (for 50Hz PAL UK TV) if you dig into their manuals far enough, that's not what I want...

So I've been looking at coming back to Matrox - well the truth is that I've never left them. My home PC has an old Millenium and has been problem free from the day I got it. At work, over the last 3 jobs and about 10 years, I've used Matroxes all the time - no complaints there.

My worry with Matrox is low market share (~1%), together with the 'problems' of the company and the 'banding' problems of the Parhelia. I'm not a hard-core gamer (maybe I'll buy a 3D game one day to see how good they are now) but I want good quality video output - so Matrox would seem a logical choice - there may be no other choice.

Ideally what I would like to do is to drive my monitor (or maybe flatscreen one day) and a TV at the same time. Now my TV is a Sony with RGB inputs and using RGB is much better than watching with S-video - note RGB is not Component Video (YPrPb) that seems to be very popular with our North American friends.

Now in the good old days, one would poke around in the chipset and reprogram registers to give TV-type timings and stick displays straight onto the RGB (VGA) connecter. I suspect that things are better these days...

The simple question is, can I stick a Matrox (P750?) onto my RGB TV?

Would it use an RGB (VGA) monitor connector or some converter? Is there another way to do it? Will it do widescreen too?

Answers or pointers to help please...

Thanks for all your help.

Taliska
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1Gbyte DDR400 RAM
    Matrox P750, Matrox RT.X10
    2x Maxtor 120G & 1x 300G SATA drives, Panasonic DVD-RAM drive
    Windows XP Pro, Premiere Pro 7.0

from what I understand, only the G400, G450 and G550 support SCART-RGB output...

get a second hand G400, the best tv-out by a huge margin over other cards on the market.

Comment

Thanks for the tip...

Are any of them available with a PCI interface - I could then use it and a new 3D card at the same time.

Taliska

Comment

There is a G450PCI, but its TVOut is not as good as the G400, and it has problems with Non-Intel chipsets.

Comment

Hi,

I've pulled some docs off from Matrox and can't see any sight of a mention about SCART RGB - I can see a mention of Composite and S-video to SCART convertors.

Was there some undocumented way of wiring the RGB VGA connector up to RGB SCART?

Thanks,

Taliska

Comment

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/faq/details.cfm?id=8 for RGB scart on G450.
            http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/faq/details.cfm?id=5 for G400, it shows it using the RGB lines too, not sure if that's right though.

Comment

Thanks for the info - will firkle about on Matrox's forums now.

Comment

Working...
              X