Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

> 120 passengers sucked out of cargo plane....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• > 120 passengers sucked out of cargo plane....

Jeeezzzzz.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

What a way to go!
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

It was not known how many people were on the plane or whether they had seats or seatbelts. People in Africa often travel on modified cargo planes that have few seats, leaving most passengers to cram in among their belongings in the rear of the aircraft.
      Not good, not good at all!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yes, sad indeed.

BTW, it wasn't 33 000 feet, it was 2200m.

Comment

like the height really made much of a difference for falling.. 2.2KM is pretty far to fall still
          ..Imagine how much time you get to think about the sudden impact *shudder*
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
            like the height really made much of a difference for falling.. 2.2KM is pretty far to fall still
            ..Imagine how much time you get to think about the sudden impact *shudder*
            Actually, I'd rather have it at 30,000ft. With only a mile, you might actually bounce. Non-instant death.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

At 30K you'd rather rapidly fall into shock from oxygen deprivation and the freezing termperatures: time to impact would be about 1.2 minutes.

At 7000 Feet, it would take roughly 20 seconds for a solid object to hit the ground. You'd be wide awake through the entire ordeal.

You would be at terminal velocity at just past 3,000 feet...so it wouldn't matter.
              Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

At 30k a HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) jumpers free fall is closer to 2 minutes or more, not 1 minute 12 seconds (1.2 min). 1:12 works out to a free fall of about 19k. Been there.

I would expect that someone thrashing around in anticipation of their demise would provide a bit more air resistance than a jumper, so it might even take a few seconds longer. No, they would not necessarily go unconcions immediately....unfortunately.

Conciousness duration at altitude without bailout bottles (O2) can be estimated by tables. The FAA gives these numbers;

Alt. (ft) Time

40,000: 15 seconds
                35.000: 20 seconds
                30,000: 30 seconds
                28,000: 1 minute
                26,000: 2 minutes
                24,000: 3 minutes
                22,000: 6 minutes
                20,000: 10 minutes
                15.000: indefinite

presuming good health and non-smoker.

In this case it may have been advantageous to be in ill health and a smoker since that would put 'em out quicker.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 May 2003, 20:17.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Heck, if I was gonna die in a airplane accident, that's how I'd rather go... nice long fall then nothing (or try to aim for a tree or something and roll the odds and hope you end up with just some broken bones, IMHO. Although never having been in the air I guess I havn't had a chance to really think about it too seriously.

I read a news piece that claims it was "only" 17 people.

Comment

What a shitty way to go
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Poor people.

Sad we have to discuss how fast they died.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
                        At 30K you'd rather rapidly fall into shock from oxygen deprivation and the freezing termperatures: time to impact would be about 1.2 minutes.

At 7000 Feet, it would take roughly 20 seconds for a solid object to hit the ground. You'd be wide awake through the entire ordeal.

You would be at terminal velocity at just past 3,000 feet...so it wouldn't matter.
                        Define terminal velocity as you are using it here, please. Terminal velocity as I have understood it is the velocity at moment of impact, not some set speed at which a person must definitely die.

Comment

Thanks Doc for stating good facts

Did you know, the record free fall speed, done without any special equipment, is 321 MPH

A typical skydive for me is in the 140 - 160 MPH range, for the freefall portion

An excellent article, with references, on the speed of a skydiver (terminal velocity)
                          can be found here
                          Last edited by SitFlyer; 10 May 2003, 03:18.

Comment

Geez, that wasn't very nice.

With my luck, I would burst into a crazy hysterical laughter in mid-air. This would relax my entire body so that I would not actually die when hitting the ground, but instead become a vegetable and live on to die at a healthy age of 110.

Off Topic:
                            Go here and read the section about unlucky skydivers
                            Last edited by Tempest; 10 May 2003, 06:01.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                              Define terminal velocity as you are using it here, please. Terminal velocity as I have understood it is the velocity at moment of impact, not some set speed at which a person must definitely die.
                              Terminal velocity is the maximun velocity a free falling object will achieve in the atmosphere.
                              Although you need a certain distance to attain it, the velocity will not increase past this point, due to the drag the air has on the body.
                              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X