Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RealNetworks starting to charge (schools) for using their player!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNetworks starting to charge (schools) for using their player!

This is something I heard from a sixth form college tutor:

"... I am interested in how other Colleges / Universities deal with streaming media on the internet, we have until recently used the free RealPlayer to play back on our college machines. However I have received a letter from RealNetworks informing me that, If I have the free version installed I am breaking the licence rules. They will sell me a controllable licensed version (with no adverts), but at a price (£6000 for 650 PC's). I assume that most institutions will be approached eventually. If you have any thoughts, options etc please let me know"

WTF? Surely the deal is that the content creators pay for licences?
    This stinks. Whats next? paying to view Flash?

T.
    FT.

You know my views
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

So you're not allowed to download free versions on all your pc's.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

What are you saying TP?
        FT.

Comment

latest realplayer (Realone, shit) looks more like a comercicals billboard than a mediaplayer
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I was being sarcastic Tony.
            I can't see they can really do this as many sites force you to download the player so you can the view content.
            Universities/collages would have to block access to Realplonkers website to stop students downloading the player. That would be really bad for Realplonkers.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

hehe, had a talk with the admin of a school net, and he said that 90% of all trafic was "recreational" browsing.

He's were almost thinking of shutting down everything and having the students com and request the "opening" of an adresses

I can hear it:
              "Yeah, and what has the adress 'www.freemp3andwarez.nu' with school work????"
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                I can hear it:
                "Yeah, and what has the adress 'www.freemp3andwarez.nu' with school work????"
                Essay on cyber-crime and its effect on social attitute (i.e. 1337ness)?
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Technoid: He could ban lunarstorm.*, and get rid of 75% of that.
                  <font size="-4">User error:
                  Replace user and try again.
                  System 1: P4 2.8@3.25, P4C800-E Deluxe, 1024MB 3200 CL2, 160+120 GB WD, XP Pro, Skystar 2, Matrox Parhelia 128R, Chieftec Dragon Full Tower (Silver).
                  System 2: P4 2.0, Intel 845, 1024MB Generic RAM, 80GB WD, XP Pro, Promise Ultra133 TX2, GF3 Ti500. Resides in a neat Compaq case.
                  </font>

Comment

You are right, Zao
                    Why didn't i think of that!!

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      I was being sarcastic Tony.
                      I can't see they can really do this as many sites force you to download the player so you can the view content.
                      Universities/collages would have to block access to Realplonkers website to stop students downloading the player. That would be really bad for Realplonkers.
                      I manage quite well without Real stuff of any form installed - and Quicktime for that matter
                      Meet Jasmine.
                      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace you may do so. I'm justing thinking about schools universitys etc they don't run a managed service so that Students can download what they like. Going to be a real pain in the ass for the admins.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X