Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper way to encode video with mp3 audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to encode video with mp3 audio?

I've been trying to figure out a way to make a video file with a mp3 audio stream for a while now, but I haven't found an 'excellent' method yet.

I use VirtualDUB to combine the video and audio. I've tried using PCM wave as input, and using VirtualDUB for the conversion to mp3. With this method I found the following problems:
    - The default fraunhofer codec ( l3codeca ) does not allow for bitrates higher than 128Kb. I would like to use 160 and 192Kb.
    - The Fraunhofer codec 'optimized' by Radium v1.263 does not use the correct bitrate specified: it uses a slightly lower bitrate. I am not sure wether this will give problems on systems that don't have this codec installed for playback, and therefor I would prefer a codec which uses the correct bitrate. Another drawback is that this codec makes the audio go out of sync (due to the lower bitrate?). Fortunately VirtualDUB can fix that bug in the codec.

Another method I tried is to encode the PCM WAV to a WAV with MP3 compression, and then interleave the audio with video in VirtualDUB (using directstream-copy for video and audio). With this method I found the following problems:
    - AudioActive production studio makes the final mp3-wave file 0.07% shorter than the original PCM wave (it is played back 0.07% too fast). This way the audio and video go out of sync after some time.
    - MP3Enc31 (fraunhofer group command line based encoder) just crashes on my pc because it has issues with win2k? and according to several websites this program does not make that good quality MP3s
    - Lame has been said to have the best quality, but it does not allow for outputting WAV files with MP3 encoding, which is absolutely necessary for VirtualDUB

Does anyone know a solution for my problem?
Working...
X