Forced change in working hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced change in working hours

Well finally a bit of hidden agenda of our University department has been revealed today. The University is planning a series of 24hr open access areas for students.
    For a long time I've been warning my collegues that they'll be asked to man these. My collegues didn't believe me.
    So today in the meeting it was announced that all new technicians employed by the University will have to work flexiable hours and weekends. Hours proposed at the moment involve working to 1 to 9 O'clcock. Present employed people will be asked to work more flexable hours and then offered a new contract where the University owns your bollocks.
    No doubt next on the agenda is then night shift working. As these are 24 hr centres.
    I doubt very much we can fight the 1 to 9 O'clock and weekend working as I don't think this would be considered an unreasonable contract.
    Note present hours are 8.30 to 5 or 9 to 5.30.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

****oles!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not for them it's still an employees market I'm afraid.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nice for the students, and I guess the Uni can't afford to hire many mroe people so that nobody has to work overtime/nightshifts

It's sad for you, PIT, but I think the real problem is not the uni, but the lack of funding for education.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I bet you anything you'll sat there looking at 4 or 5 students thats it. Most will work from there homes.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If there's no demand than that's another thing. But I think if this is so, your situation will change back soon

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

There's a lot of this shit going around. My Uni has just harmonised everyones leave to be the same i.e. anyone who has acrued extra days due to long service will lose them. It doesn't affect me but those that it does are being actively discouraged against seeking any compensation. It sucks.

You are right TP - the buggers won't use the late services anyway (except for the day before work is due in...and then there's hell to pay if there aren't enough machines to go around despite having had 3 months to do the work)

T.
              FT.

Comment

One thing people have got to realise that this is a University and not a business so they don't understanding costing.
                All the time I've worked there they've ran the helpdesk from eight til six. Now from eight til nine and five til six it's very common not to have a single call but they still man it.
                If the open access rooms had one person in it they'd still man the damn thing in case someone complained.

The University is also going to network all the halls of residants so students can work from there room. So this should have a knock on effect on useage of open access rooms.
                Need a print out send it and pick it up in the morning or when you're next walking past. The printing system is on a swipe release system so it won't disappear for a week anyway.

It would be nice to have a near zero unemployment as they wouldn't dare think about this.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Geee
                  i just started uni myself....soz bout that The Pit~

Comment

I worked the help desk in college. Our last shifts ended at 11PM. It worked out just fine.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

As a student I'd kill for that kind of access, but as a tech I say screw that!!!

~Sethos
                      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Sethos
                        As a student I'd kill for that kind of access, but as a tech I say screw that!!!

~Sethos
                        I think if you were a student with a network point in your own room you'd probably work in your room. I'd would have.

Anyway another supervisor who was at the orginal meeting where staffing and working hours was discussed has said that our Boss got the wrong end of the stick. So who knows. I still think it's on the agenda to change our hours.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X