UK people with a 9500 pro...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK people with a 9500 pro...

Did any of you buy it from Scan? I'm just going to buy myself one and they haven't labelled it with the manufacturer. The last Ati card I bought from them was from a reseller and I think there was some hoo-ha round here when they shipped a resellers card instead of an ATi card to someone.

I basically just wonder if there's a DVI->VGA connector in the box as I think for image quality and everything else all 9500 pros based on ATi reference are created equal.

Anyone care to say otherwise / fill me in?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

The fuss that was made here before was over Watford Electronics.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I get so confused

Deed is done. Powercolour aparently.

Uberlad

[Edit] cooler -> colour

Comment

Sorry for OT but...
        Why not 9600?
        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

From what I've seen of the 9600 there's a couple of reasons I'm not going to bother with it atm:

1. Needed a card today - just put my 8500LE in a mates computer as his new motherboard cannot run his G400 (that I sold him as well). The only 9600's I can find in the UK are on a many day order, and cost about £15 more than the 9500 Pro I bought.

2. I'm not going to kill myself overclocking the thing and the reviews I've seen suggest that there isn't that much between the two cards until you start to crank the 9600 to above 9700 speeds at which point it sings.

Now all I need to do is justify buying the thing to the girlfriend 8-)

Uberlad

Comment

I think the point is 9600 consumes less electricity and produce much less heat, as well as more future prove.

But sorry I didn't notice it is not widely available in the UK yet...
            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Good point about power and heat concerns.

I didn't think of that

Ah well. I'm sure I'll survive. A little extra heat in a case never hurt anyone.

Uberlad

Comment

btw, has someone seen 9600 NON pro? I can't find almost nothing about it and I'm still wondering if it has passive cooling...

Comment

AFAIK 9600 non pro is passive... but not in production yet :O

The heat of 9500 (especially the ram) is like, BURNING or something.

Comment

I'm cooling my 9500 Pro OCed to 325/325 with a Zalman ZM80A-HP Heatsink (no fan), and little airflow in the case... no problems with heat whatsoever (it does get hot, but no artifacts or crashes in games or anything). So I think heat is not really an issue with the R300 core.

One of the advantages of the R(V)350 core (i.e. 9600 Pro) is that it's memory controller can clock much higher, so you can OC much better. Though it only has half the pipelines of the 9500 Pro, so it's a tradeoff...

see http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/ati/rv350/
                    Last edited by dZeus; 7 May 2003, 10:35.

Comment

thanks for link dZeus...with photo of Sapphire Radeon 9600

so...it is passive...
                      Probably it'll find one owner here then...I just wonder about IQ.
                      And maybe otoh P650 will turn out enough for me in terms of performance.
                      Anyway, better choices for me than this two aren't coming this year I guess...

Comment

Wee curio - - What's the middle connector there?
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Video out?
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

You can see there is a big space reserved for some AIW action!!

Comment

Working...
                            X