DMCA was yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMCA was yesterday...

...today we simply forbid the use of any communication device without the authorization of the service provider! strike, MPAA!

it seems that the following activities will be prohibited under the new bill:[list=1][*]Possession, development, distribution or use of any "communication device" in connection with a communication service without the express authorization of the service provider.[*]Concealing the origin or destination of any communication from the communication service provider.[*]Possession, development, distribution or use of any "unlawful access device".[*]Preparation or publication of any "plans or instructions" for making any device, having reason to know that such a device will be used to violate the other prohibitions.[/list=1]
    These acts could make a citizen a criminal for simply connecting a TV, PC, TiVo or VCR (all of which can "receive" communication services) to the cable TV line in his or her living room without the cable company's permission. It could also make a citizen a criminal for connecting a Wi-Fi wireless gateway (which can "retransmit" Internet traffic) to your DSL or cable modem line without the permission of your ISP.
    link
    and it looks like more and more states are falling for it...

to the people who will be directly affected: was there a public discussion off the topic? any newspaper reports?

I hope they never manage to get trough with that kind of law in austria.

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

welcome to 1984.

Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Re: DMCA was yesterday...

Originally posted by Wulfman
      ...SNIP....[*]Concealing the origin or destination of any communication from the communication service provider.
      ..... SNIP....
      mfg
      wulfman

This could easily be construed to mean NAT routers in the home.

Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Now that is stupid...you hook up a nice movie entertainment system, and now your a cirminal... that's just not right...

~Sethos
        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Mr. Common Sence wasnt assasinated, He was nuked!!
          Repeatedly
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
          X