Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G550 at 1280x960

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a Matrox G550, but new to Matrox and have a few questions.

I see the card doesn't support 1280x960 natively, but that can be changed with a Tweak Utility, right? Has anyone had any problems with this?

Also, any problems with the G550 on Windows XP on AMD? Is this a trouble-free card in general?

tia

works here

At work I'm using G550 on P4-2.2GHz/i845 with W2k SP3(I think) at 1280x960 85Hz (analog CRT) without problems. Some glitches on video but only sometimes. No DVDMax with highres video (unless I reduce the resolution on first head) and "medium" game performance.
    OK - P4 is not AMD and W2k is not XP, but I've posted something

Hope my boss does not read those video watching things
    Last edited by exMotraxUser; 6 May 2003, 12:12.
    Core 2 Duo@2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 9800GT, running SuSE11.2
    G550 at work, G400 and Mystique collecting dust

Comment

You're sacked mate come to the office.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I used to run my G550 on my Athlon 1.4... no problem with that using Windows XP/2000/ME/98...

The G550 is the most stable card I have ever seen in my life, even more stable than the good old G200 AGP (1 corrpution per 2 years on that G200 IIRC). It is definitely designed for Office guys in mind, no stability problem whatsoever... be it the hardware or the drivers.

However, not that I did a fan mod to the G550... I found it got too hot for "gaming" (or the lack thereof) The memory, however, runs very cool. probably because of its crappy clockspped (166MHz) (Samsung 5.5ns)

1280x960x32bpp@85Hz? Oh my... the screen just look gorgous... ultra sharp display. However, I found it too small for my 19". On my 17" it looks awesome though... No worries there.

Besides, I have a lot more problems with any ATI cards than with matrox. (Matrox = troublefree)

Oh yea... if you are swapping an existing card with the G550... beware that ATI and nVIDIA drivers DO NOT uninstall properly. So if you jsut pop in a G550 in there... you are probably looking for troubles. If you do, you may have to tweak your registry a bit and delete some ATI/nV references. This is problem at ATI/nV's end anyways... and is not Matrox's fault. (Matrox PDesk drivers are the only ones that uninstalls properly)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
          Oh yea... if you are swapping an existing card with the G550... beware that ATI and nVIDIA drivers DO NOT uninstall properly. So if you jsut pop in a G550 in there... you are probably looking for troubles. If you do, you may have to tweak your registry a bit and delete some ATI/nV references. This is problem at ATI/nV's end anyways... and is not Matrox's fault. (Matrox PDesk drivers are the only ones that uninstalls properly)
          Would a simple registry clean with Fixit Utilities suffice?

Comment

Registry cleaner? Subtract all the fun

Comment

Yikes, now you're scaring me. I run away from the technical stuff...

But really, I think I'll be ordering a Matrox very soon. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

I recall IceStorm mentioning he has some glitches with G550 and video playback at 1400x1050.

G400 doesn't supposedly doesn't have video problems with uncommon resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  I recall IceStorm mentioning he has some glitches with G550 and video playback at 1400x1050.

G400 doesn't supposedly doesn't have video problems with uncommon resolutions.
                  That seems like a really unusual resolution. I thought it normally had to be a multiple of 8 or 32 or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat
                    That seems like a really unusual resolution. I thought it normally had to be a multiple of 8 or 32 or similar.
                    You are correct

I'm running a G550 here on one of my machines and it doesn't exhibit glitches
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

No problem at this end either. Gotta love Matrox (except Parhelia ) or Mr. Dan Wood

Comment

Working...
                      X