Bad Parhelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Parhelia?

I pulled my Parhelia out tonight. I used to have an aftermarket heatsink and memory Heat sinks at a 230/600 overclock. I pulled both sets of heatsinks off and installed the Parhelia into my Shuttle box and replaced the stock HS and fan. I was getting werid corruption...so I thought it was an issue with the ATI drivers and the Matrox drivers, so I did a fresh install of WinXP SP1 and still got the same currupton. I went back and underclocked the card to 200/400 and still have the same problem and the only way I can get rid of it is if I turn off all HW acceleration. I had the Parhelia in my shuttle box for a couple days when I first got it and didnt have any problems, so I don't think its a PS issue with it. I've attached a pic to show you the problem I'm having with it.
    Attached Files
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Did corruption occur all of a sudden or did it start gradually?

Could the heat have damaged the card?

Try it in the other rig just to eliminate conflict causes.

Comment

Yeah, it sure looks like heat, but if it didn't go away you might have really borked the card.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You did remember to have thermal grease between the chip and the HS?

I have seen this on a computer at work acouple off times, but it helped when we turned off the system. Haven't ocured since....

Comment

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
          You did remember to have thermal grease between the chip and the HS?
          Yeah but it wasn't that great so I cleaned it up and reapplied it and same results. I'll play with it more when I get home.

Just curious that I never had any problems with it running overclocked before and the memory was still in specs and it was only 10mhz OC on the core...and from what I understand the Parhelia has Thermal protection on it.

Comment

I've had similar corruption in the past. Mostly with my G400 under Win2k (but also on Win98).

I've been running a Parhelia for the last year and have had occasional corruption just like that on Win2k and WinXP, Win2k was a _lot_ more prone to it, especially under early revisions of drivers.

You won't just belive it, but I rebooted about an hour ago after 3 days uptime, and had exactly the same corruption on the log in screen. All I did was power down the machine, leave it for a few seconds and power up, problem gone.

I've only ever seen this on Boot up, both on a warm and cold systems. The only thing I can suggest is to power down, wait a few seconds and power up again.

Neither of my Matrox cards are overclocked, nor will I ever overclock them.

Robert.
            --
            Robert Hodkinson, SF nut, Sound nut and a Render-head.
            reply email is bag.it@ntlworld.com
            The only 'wave shape', I want to see, is on the beach.

Comment

Seen this happen on a geforce 4. Its a bios issue. Reflash the bios or update it.

Comment

But that was because of VIA chipsets, wasn't it?

Originally posted by bag_it
                I've had similar corruption in the past. Mostly with my G400 under Win2k (but also on Win98).

I've been running a Parhelia for the last year and have had occasional corruption just like that on Win2k and WinXP, Win2k was a _lot_ more prone to it, especially under early revisions of drivers.

You won't just belive it, but I rebooted about an hour ago after 3 days uptime, and had exactly the same corruption on the log in screen. All I did was power down the machine, leave it for a few seconds and power up, problem gone.

I've only ever seen this on Boot up, both on a warm and cold systems. The only thing I can suggest is to power down, wait a few seconds and power up again.

Neither of my Matrox cards are overclocked, nor will I ever overclock them.

Robert.
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by crossbonesx
                  Seen this happen on a geforce 4. Its a bios issue. Reflash the bios or update it.
                  Is there BIOS update for the Parhelia? If there isnt I'm stuck since I dont have my orginal around any more
                  Last edited by GT98; 7 May 2003, 07:32.

Comment

Try posting this issue on the Matrox Tech Support forum.
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

This may sound really stupid or that I am trying to insult your own intelligence but I and a friend had a very similiar problem. The solution was quite simple, switch off pc and monitor remove the monitor cable from the parhelia. Then re-attach and make sure it is secure and boot up PC and that might fix your problem

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                        This may sound really stupid or that I am trying to insult your own intelligence but I and a friend had a very similiar problem. The solution was quite simple, switch off pc and monitor remove the monitor cable from the parhelia. Then re-attach and make sure it is secure and boot up PC and that might fix your problem
                        I tried it though an DVI to RGB converter and straight D-DVI connection with the same results

Comment

I did some more playing around...I just noticed that Powerdesk isnt loading up and I tried running MTSTU on my card and came back with two errors: x9797 and x0709 saying it couldnt get clocks off the card. I reflashed the card again using the BIN file on the CD and Still no luck. If I enable HW accellation it still currupts the screen
                          Last edited by GT98; 7 May 2003, 13:45.

Comment

WyWyWyWy,

Your right, I'm running an ASUS A7V, which uses the KT133 chipset.

At the moment i'm not to bothered about it, it only happens to me about 4 times a year.

Robert.
                            --
                            Robert Hodkinson, SF nut, Sound nut and a Render-head.
                            reply email is bag.it@ntlworld.com
                            The only 'wave shape', I want to see, is on the beach.

Comment

Originally posted by bag_it
                              WyWyWyWy,

Your right, I'm running an ASUS A7V, which uses the KT133 chipset.

At the moment i'm not to bothered about it, it only happens to me about 4 times a year.

Robert.
                              IIRC I had to use AGP 1x to get it stable with my VIA chipset board. No matter what version the Hyperion, PowerDesk, BIOS are...
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X