Huffyuv/Premiere/Ulead MovieFactory2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huffyuv/Premiere/Ulead MovieFactory2

I am a newbie to this forum..was advised to come here for Huffyuv issues by someone on the Ulead forum...hope I have the right category for this question - When I export AVI from Adobe Premiere using the Huffyuv codec the MF2 program says the file is not accessible. When I output the file using a Windows codec the file is accepted by
    MF2. Is there a fix for this apparent incompatibility? The Huffyuv codec is a great lossless compression tool and I would like to make use of it.

Huff is an editing codec, not a presentation codec. The nearly lossless quality of the Huff codec means that encoding the edited material directly to DVD format (typically by frameserving the Premiere timeline to TMPGEnc or some other independent encoder) will provide a higher quality image than rendering the project as an AVI and then encoding to MPEG2.

Search the forum for frameserving in Premiere and you'll find tons of useful info.

Kevin

Comment

Thanks...I am starting to understand more of the process and have dowloaded a 30 day trial of the Premiere server software to play around with. Appreciate the good info

Comment

IF he's using Premiere 6.5 it has a built-in version of the MainConcept encoder complete with all the settings you would find in the standalone or "Advanced" mode encoder found in MSPro.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

How's the quality/render time compared to TMPGEnc?

Kevin

Comment

If you crank the quality setting north a bit and set the DC precision to 10 it's pretty darned close. TMPGEnc is a bit "softer" while MC has even more MPEG settings (if you can imagine that).

Premiere's MC plugins weakness, such as it is, is that it doesn't have the video filters TMPGEnc has, but Premiere itself has quite a collection of those but not as big a set of delacers.

In MC standalone can be frameserved from VirtualDUB, which puts things in a whole other prespective especially since MC standalone is a ton faster than TMPGEnc.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 May 2003, 11:47.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X