can i add a 2nd monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i add a 2nd monitor?

i have a radeon 8500dv card and i just got a new 21" monitor. i want to use my old 19"er as a 2nd display. i remember reading when i was on this forum before (used to have a g400) that people added a 2nd card to use a 2nd monitor.

can anyone help me out?
    --
    TJ

Of course you can, just buy a PCI gfx card and you're sorted.
    Natively supported in modern OSes.

Check out http://www.realtimesoft.com for FAQ and resources.

EDIT:
    I just got a new 19" as my 2nd too
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

oooh excellent.

so if i get a g450 or summit, that'll work?
      --
      TJ

Comment

Yes, definitely.
        I'm not sure if win98 supports dual display though.
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

i use win xp pro. ive been looking at the forums on that site. and i'm checking the config dB for different setups.

i was thinking that since i also have an old 15" monitor that i may as well try and use that as well and get a pci card that supports 2 monitors.

except for the parhelia, what other card can handle 2 monitors?

oh and also be fairly cheap.
          --
          TJ

Comment

G450 PCI, as you mentioned.

Comment

ta mate.

off to find one cheap like.
              --
              TJ

Comment

And LET ME KNOW when you found one cheap!
                Because I have four 15" unused at the moment...
                Would be great to have some more monitors surrounding me...

Comment

i will. had a look and found an agp one at dabs for 60 ish. no luck yet in finding a pci one yet tho.
                  --
                  TJ

Comment

think i found something.

Matrox G450 PCI for £39.99 inc vat and delivery.
                    not too bad. not sure whether i need a dvi - vga converter tho.

is the g450 1 vga and 1 dvi?

Most of our graphics cards are ex-Dell surplus stock and supplied as a bare card. Drivers are updated frequently, so we recommend that you download the latest version from the ATI / Matrox / NVidia websites, where all popular operating systems are catered for. The cards are "as new", and have a 30 day warranty, representing fantastic value for money. What's more, delivery and VAT is included in the price, so the price you see is the price you pay!
                    --
                    TJ

Comment

You can also check e-bay and such places for cheap Millennium, Mistique, Millennium II, G100 or G200 PCI.

For 19" you need 8MB card.

G450 PCI is uber cool (you can add 2 more monitors, however it costs 130€ here).

Comment

Originally posted by mrtj1
                        think i found something.

not too bad. not sure whether i need a dvi - vga converter tho.

is the g450 1 vga and 1 dvi?
                        There used to be a seller on ebay selling for 20 quid each, plus 5 quid p&p. Okay that was 6 months ago. But I have emailed him few weeks back, no reply though

Comment

dont trust ebay unless i am selling.

this isnt too bad and cheaper than the other places i found.
                          it's bank holiday on monday so i'll give them a ring on tuesday to order this card.
                          --
                          TJ

Comment

Let me know how you get on... I have a 8500DV too. I was thinking of getting a cheap PCI card for some multi displays - £40 seems a bargin.l
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

since i dont live at my old (cards regged) address, i have to call to order. i'll try tomorrow just in case.

i've already set up my montitors on my desk 19"/21"/15"

the last one really doesnt fit in with this.

depending on how this works out i'll have to buy a 19".

i remember seeing one for £91 a few weeks ago somewhere. i'll have to hunt that bargin down.

one question though. in display properties, i have 2 monitors apparently. i am assuming that this is the 2nd display of my 8500dv which is the svhs out or summit crappy like that. is there any way to disable that? otherwise my 19" would be a 3rd and the 15" would be a 4th monitor.
                              --
                              TJ

Comment

Working...
                              X