X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New card next year:

Originally posted by Haig:
    Hi,

it's a given that after the P650/750, we'll come out with new cards next year. As to whether they will be geared towards an upgrade for P or not is something technical support can't comment on.
    Now since the P650 and P750 pretty much cover the spot between G550 and Parhelia and they could just increase P750 to 128MB if it becomes neccessary, this means they'll release something faster next year.

well it may be a pragmatic case of saying nothing better is coming, so it does not effect there current sales....but there may be something new. umsc ha been doing a bit of PR about .09?

Comment

I was just reading some news and saw nV forming partnership with IBM to fab .13 parts.

Intel will kick in .09 in Q3 or more likel Q4.

Comment

which reminds me:

WHERE IS VIGILANTE?

i thought he might show up around the anouncment of the new Ps but he hasent......
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Why would anyone in their right mind want to move these to a smaller process, unless of course it also involved optimizing the chip and removing some of its inefficiencies.
          Interests include:
          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Well, hopefully the P650 and P750 are going to be there around the same time.
            Let those who want to be simple, be simple.

Comment

@Ssin: The P650 and P750 will be in stores around June (my estimation)

However, I think the next card should be based on Pitou... I don't think its too hard to upgrade the Parhelia to full DirectX 9 support. Let see... IIRC they have only Pixel Shaders 2.0 and 128bit color to add to its features list... shouldn't be too hard.

DX10 shouldn't be around for sometime i.e. 2-3 years (unlike DX8 vs. DX9... it was a pretty fast transition IMO... 2001 vs. 2002)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

However, I think the next card should be based on Pitou... I don't think its too hard to upgrade the Parhelia to full DirectX 9 support. Let see... IIRC they have only Pixel Shaders 2.0 and 128bit color to add to its features list... shouldn't be too hard.

DX10 shouldn't be around for sometime i.e. 2-3 years (unlike DX8 vs. DX9... it was a pretty fast transition IMO... 2001 vs. 2002)
                I guess the same. The pre-order of P650/750 from Matrox Shop indicates that the cards should come end of May.
                Since the market for office work and graphics design will be served with P650/750, the high-end market should be served with Parhelia and its further developmented products. Now we can understand what "Parhelia serie" meant.
                Last edited by chaoliang; 3 May 2003, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer

Just add Vertex Shaders 2.0 to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                    Just add Vertex Shaders 2.0 to the list.
                    According to the Parhelia-512 whitepapers, Vertex Shaders 2.0 is supported, just not enabled in the drivers...

Comment

Yes, and apparently it's doubtful if it will ever be enabled...

Comment

I think most people decided to buy this card based on the information on the whitepapers and reviews!

I don´t know how other people understand the whitepapers, but i read them as a list of features the parhelia supports, and not a list of features the parhelia "could" support.

so my guess is that costumers who call sales about those features, aren´t "requesting" or "suggesting" that they enable them, they are complaining that they aren´t already working,(or atleast they should IMO).

when parhelia was new, I could accept that some features was disabled, because I know that drivers are hard to get right at the first try(and DX9 wasn´t out then), but it is about time they get those features working, both the 2.0vertexshaders, and the 64 tap anisotropic filtering(IMO).

I viewed that parhelia-whitepaper as an obligation, a statement that said:"yes, our product supports the following list of features".

if the reason, that those features aren´t enabled, is because they are broken, then I can accept that, but if the reason is that, "we don´t feel like, enabling the features we said our product supports, unless our costumers complain", then it is inexcusable.
                        Last edited by TdB; 3 May 2003, 16:30.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                          Yes, and apparently it's doubtful if it will ever be enabled...
                          You know what, it's doubtful if it is actually supported in hardware!
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                            You know what, it's doubtful if it is actually supported in hardware!
                            yeah, that thought occurred to me too, maybe they "polished" their whitepapers a bit too much, maybe some guy thought that a fairytale or two in that whitepaper, would make the parhelia appear more powerfull than it really is...

it is beginning to be a discussion about credibillity, not just technical issues, IMO.
                            Last edited by TdB; 3 May 2003, 16:40.
                            This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Ant has been censored, anything he says they pull.

The whole MURC has been this way since he spilled the beans about Matrox going down the toilet.
                              I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
                              No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X