Geez when Nortons Ghost is no use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez when Nortons Ghost is no use

Nortons Ghost is of course no use when you install a new motherboard and neither of your windoze installations want to know.

Tried coaxing Windoze ME this wouldn't have it just bombing out after detecting everything. Xp tried a repair and it just got stuck in a loop. So I bit the bullet and re-installing XP going down to one OS.
    The slow bit was all the patches around 60mb + of them via a modem. Took all afternoon. Just the games to install now.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

A tip is to set the HDD controller to use generic/standard IDE controller driver before ghosting
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Same for the display drivers - standard VGA normally works every-time.

I generally don't do it that way (Ghost) either after a motherboard upgrade - I just un-install all IDE and displaydriver components and then set the IDE and display drivers to standard - reboot and see all is ok with standard drivers, and only then kill the old hardware.
      Last edited by LvR; 30 April 2003, 10:09.
      Lawrence

Comment

Yeah, but a new motherboard is the one thing that can hose it. With Win9x, you need to delete all the "system" devices in the registry before swapping motherboards. With XP, you have to format & reinstall to get it right.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
          A tip is to set the HDD controller to use generic/standard IDE controller driver before ghosting
          XP I uninstalled all the SIS I before the upgrade. Still fell over big style.

ME still wouldn't have worked as I uninstalled every bit of hardware in the end out of frustration and it still fell over. Anyway I was pondering about going over to one OS and this forced the issue. I also only had the 9800 Pro installed and everything bar the serial ports and ide controller turned off.
          Last edited by The PIT; 1 May 2003, 06:28.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If you're ghosting a machine to upgrade the motherboard, it's probably a good idea to run sysprep on it before taking the image. I'd use the switches /nosidgen and /pnp, so that it leaves your SID intact, and redetects all hardware during the mini-setup process once it's reinstalled. Can save a lot of hassles.

Edit: only works on W2K or XP of course...
            Last edited by agallag; 1 May 2003, 06:48.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Ghost was just there to safe guard the data in case the hard drive gets corrupted aka KT133a. It also useful to have just in case when you installing new hardware you stuff it up and have too re-install the orginal image.
              In this case for ME it was no go anyway but hadn't had a bad life. Intel to Via Kt133A to Via KT266/a and then SIS 645dx. Got slightly more troublesome this time.
              XP I thought I could have rescued via the repair tool so I was a bit careless and should have hit the registry before swapping out. I think looping during repair is mentioned somewhere on Microsofts website.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Read up about 'Sys Prep'. It prepares WinXP for ghosting. I think it's part of the System Managment Tools that you have to install from teh i386 folder.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's on the cd in the support directory. It's in the deploy.cab file, along with a couple other tools.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Next time in about 6 months eh.
                    Anyway it working properly now I'm down to one OS on this machine so this will save a load of downloads in future.
                    Now will I upgrade my win2k machine to XP???

Of course sysprep wouldn't have helped for me though.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall (243kB of images) Page 1 2

Arstechnica's board swaping guide.

Comment

Working...
                      X