Win2k Server disk spanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Server disk spanning

I'm trying to add additional storage to a Windows 2000 Server but have run into a major problem. The server has a RAID 5 array with one logical disk which is being used for the C and D drives. I can add additional drives and create a second logical disk but the problem comes in adding this space to the D drive. When the server was originally set up, the disk were created as Basic disks, so therefore spanning isn't available. I can upgrade the disks to Dynamic disks but again because they were originally Basic disks it wont allow me to span it.

Apart from backing up everything, killing the disk, recreating it and then restoring everything can anyone see any other way around this
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

If the disk was originally created as basic, there's no way to do it with the included W2K tools. You can use PowerQuest Volume Manager to do it (same guys who make partition magic), but it's hella expensive. Maybe you can find a trial version or something?
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

According to PowerQuests website Volume Manager does not support Dynamic Disks
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
      X