No announcement yet.

It seems to be harddrive dying month...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems to be harddrive dying month...

My 80GB 60GXP just died - I'm gonna get a new drive and hope I can salvage at least the important data...

Man, I should've done backups...

And what do I get? A 180GXP

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Oh you've learn't the hard way.
    And you seem to got another crappy IBM drive. I wouldn't bother with them at all nowadays had run DFT to many times. It will take time for Hitachi to get the QA right.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yeah IBM hard drives =

Comment

I am happy with my Seagate 'cuda V
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Would've gotten a Cuda V if it were readily available, 'cause I needed a new drive FAST. So it's a 180GXP 120 GB 8MB.

AZ

Comment

funny things -- Harddisks all my hdds (Quantum,IBM,Seagate,Maxtor) Below 10GB are all running along smoothly while my 35GB(twice),46GB IBM and 40GB Maxtor crashed within 6 months of use. Staying away from IBM for now as most of the hdds that failed came from there
            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

I was a loyal IBM customer for years, but after the fiasco with 75GXP series and two out of three drives failing within 6 months I transfered to Maxtor... DiamondMax Plus 9 seems to be doin' just fine for now...

Comment

Yup. Maxtor all the way for me at the moment. No problems.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Quite happy with my 45GB IBM DTLA.
                  Bought it in March 2001 and still have ~10 months of waranty left.
                  (think it's made in Thailand... too lazy to actually look on it )

Comment

Happy with my 'Cuda IV's and Cuda II's...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I have well over 30 Maxtors here now with no problems at all since I started using 'em a few years ago.

In that time I've "retired" 4 IBM's before they had a chance to screw anything up and had 1 Fujitsu and several WD's retire themselves

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

cking4@ford.com, I would say (just assumption...) trying to lowerage the costs...at all cost.

Comment

IBM Deskstar=DeathStar drives!

I had them and they started acting up on me...Replaced them with WD drives which have good luck with and if they do die I can get a replacement no problem.

I had a couple Maxtor drives years ago die on me with in a couple weeks of using so I'm turnned off to them.
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The old drive seems VERY dead

chkdsk took almost six hours to find about 14,000 dead sectors the 40 GB drive, and windows crawls almost to a hlat wit it installed (takes several minutes to even start explorer), and only shows two unformatted partitions, dft reported dead sectors on an unknown partition type (the drive was formatted in NTFS). No warnings, no S.M.A.R.T. status change, nothing... and then, all of a sudden rrrrt rrrt rrrt ... rrrt rrrt rrrt ... rrrt rrrt rrrt ...

All my data was on this disk - the digital pictures of Samira (which we wanted to burn in the next days), my e-mails, my mp3s (several gigabytes, hand-tagged), and maybe worst of all a website I made for my brother-in-law's business which I was going to finish TODAY (and he's already mad at me because I'm late - he'll never believe me.. I wouldnt ).

ARGH! Murphy, I hate you!

On the positive side, I think I'll try and take this chance to build a clean system without all the stuff that I've carried from installation to installation, and the new hard drive is big, fast and very quiet.

AZ

P.S.: If anyone knows how I might possibly gain some of my data back, I'd be happy to hear it.

Comment

OK, this get's posted in Other Hardware section of Arstechnica.

Method1:
                              Put the drive in refridgerator, cool overnight, connect boot and start copying.

Method2:
                              This is if something's wrong with the bearings: put the drive on the floor, connect and boot.

If it won't spin just shake it in the plane parallel to the floor (IE left/right, not up and down).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this, so do it at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X