Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Opteron Preview

The Link
    HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

I am more interested in the nVidia motherboard... finally i see 4 ddr ram slots

Time to start saving $$$$
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Re: AMD Opteron Preview

Originally posted by Belwarrior

I am more interested in the nVidia motherboard... finally i see 4 ddr ram slots
    There are four DDR slots because the Opteron has a 128-bit wide data bus. Therefore, you need two DDR sticks to get that width. Time to install your memory in matching pairs again. Itanium has had this for a few years now. The last boards I played with had 16 DDR slots or more.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yup, what Wombat said.

Wombat: WOW, 16DDR slots? Geez. What were these things running? DB servers?

Comment

Re: Re: AMD Opteron Preview

Originally posted by Wombat
        There are four DDR slots because the Opteron has a 128-bit wide data bus. Therefore, you need two DDR sticks to get that width. Time to install your memory in matching pairs again. Itanium has had this for a few years now. The last boards I played with had 16 DDR slots or more.
        Yes and if I have gotten my facts straight, then 8-way Opteron MB's will also have at least 16 slots as you would need to install the dimm's in pairs to use both memory channels on each CPU.

Comment

Working...
        X