Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid XP bug

Saw something funny on The Inqurier.

Basically, in explorer, if you right click on a file your CPU usage will be 100% constantly until you de-select it.

But if you select the file before right-clicking, it won't happen.

Pretty silly, ain't it?
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

It does not happen with my comp. Glad I have AMD

Oh no. It says it happens to AMD Athlon XP 2000+ too, which is untrue with my case
    Last edited by SuRGV; 28 April 2003, 22:28.
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

No problem with my Athlon 1200 either.
      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

no problems with me and my P4 2ghz
        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Pity they haven't got the brains to check it out first. Doesn't happen here either. Some people have got some dodgy setups
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Happens here on my XP rig, - dodgy set up and all
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Come on lad get it set up properly. I wonder if it's anything to do with indexing.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well I just turned indexing off on one of my drives, no change..

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Doesn't happen on my PIII-800 laptop, or on my Athlon XP 1700+. What crappy journalism.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It happens to me, BUT I had to be running in an explorer.exe window, not just the windows desktop.

Comment

Doesn't happen on my P3. I tried to create more than 1 explorer.exe process, but no matter how many windows explorer windows I opened, it remained at 1 process running (even have the reg key set so that Internet Explorer won't be the same process as the taskbar).

Comment

Oh dZ - what reg key is that???
                        I hate it when explorer takes the taskbar with it.... (my main reason for rebooting)
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

It happens to every computer in this house
                          3 PCs 3 laptops. 1 P4 2 Athlons 3 P3-Ms.

Are you guys sure there are no problems on yours?

To reproduce...
                          1. open My Computer
                          2. don't select anything
                          3. right click on the C: straightaway
                          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Yeah I get it... although I dont notice any slowdown though...
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

You don't need to reboot when explorer takes the taskbar... you can still alt-ctrl-del, run task manager and go file-->run new application and browse for explorer.exe.

Or windowskey-R
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X