Online Email - Free with POP or Paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Email - Free with POP or Paid

I'm looking for an online email account with POp access. I was going to pay $30 U.S. / year for Yahoo Plus, but then I read this from their terms of service:
    For clarity, Yahoo! Mail Plus is a "Service" as
    defined in the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Yahoo! can update
    and change the Agreement from time to time without notice
    to you.
    During the term of the Agreement, you can find the
    most recent version of the Yahoo! Mail Plus Terms of Service
    at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/guidelines/storage.html and
    the most recent versions of the Yahoo! Terms of Service and
    the Yahoo! Mail Guidelines at the URLs listed above.

Any ideas?

YahooPOPs maybe?

Comment

Sweet!

Still looking for another service though because of the T.O.S. agreement.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay as long as the T.O.S. is good.

Comment

If you have a local ISP, why not just use www.mail2web.com to access it ?
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

www.SoftHome.net?

They've been rather screwy lately with super slow pop3 download of messeges to mail proggies, and I think they do sell out your email to others. Not anywhere near as much as Hotmail or Yahoo though.

I might get a spam once a week.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
          ASUS A7N8X
          Corsair 1GB PC3200
          Parhelia 128MB
          EIZO L685EX

Comment

I have access to 3 sets of Comcast addresses for various relatives (18 addresses in all) that I can create so that is not an issue. I want an account not related to my ISP as I may lose the account I already have. I want a relatively permanent account.

Yahoo has been very tolerable. I just turn off everything but Yahoos emails and that can be turned off as well. Only one of my accounts has gotten spammed and that I use as my spam trap so I don't care. Anything I sign up for that needs an email account that may result in spam gets that email account as my contact info. It's just that damn T.O.S. Anything I have found online that looks promising is for businesses.

Comment

So why not just get a forwarding address from somewhere? Lots of places offer them now. I haven't looked around too much though because I use my alumni bouncer.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Best webmail with pop/imap access I've ever seen is http://www.oddpost.com. The webmail interface is so good, I don't even use the pop/imap though. It's stunning. All done with dymamic html. No java crap, so it's very fast. They have a good demo, and a 30 day free trial. After that, it's $30US/year, and well worth it!

Edit: Some other important points. It has Bayesian filtering for spam, 50MB of storage space, 10MB maximum attachment size, spell checking, address type ahead, drag and drop folders, address book importing, and advanced searching, all from the web client. I believe it's Windows/IE only.

Edit2: Just noticed the same disclaimer in the TOS as yahoo... weird. That can't possibly be legally binding if they don't notify you of changes, can it?
                Last edited by agallag; 26 April 2003, 22:13.
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I got SoftHome and they have become a bit slow from time to time.

The only spam that they are going to be responsible for is the "targitmail" that comes mayby every other month, and that one is easy to filter out
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'd just get a cheap webspace deal - my webspace (2 domains with me as admin-c, 75 MB webspace, 15Gig transfer, 15 full pop/web e-mail addresses, unlimited forwarding) costs me about 4 EUR/month.

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Seeems like a good deal
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Oh, it is

you can even get it cheaper than that if you need less.

AZ

Comment

same here. I pay about 30€ for a domainname, a 25 megabyte mailbox & some webspace.

pro:

+I can finally remember the adress of my pop & smtp server when I configure my clients.

+my host even offers a webinterface to access the different mailboxes.

mfg
                          wulfman
                          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                          "Lobsters?"
                          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

...and I finally have a place where I can host files (pictures for forums, for instance)

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by agallag

Edit2: Just noticed the same disclaimer in the TOS as yahoo... weird. That can't possibly be legally binding if they don't notify you of changes, can it?
                              They expect you to read it every so often. With free email, I do not care as I paid nothing so I lose nothing. If I pay for a service it should not be able to change at their whims.

Comment

Working...
                              X