Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone editing with Pinnacle Studio 8 after huffyuv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone editing with Pinnacle Studio 8 after huffyuv?

I'm a few weeks into Pinnacle Studio 8 and love it, apart from the following:
    Capturing with Virtualdub using PicVideo MJPEG, editing with PS8, encoding with TMPGEnc and authoring with Ulead MF2 is fine, no problems.
    I have a five VHS-C tapes to transfer to dvd of my son's first year, so dediced to use huffyuv.
    Major problems.
    PS8 crashes every 30 seconds during edit, and gives the following error message:

For the record I've removed and re-installed and installed the 8.5 upgrade/patch this weekend but results are the same
    Anyone come across this?
    Thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by Will Hay; 28 April 2003, 02:00.
    --
    The trouble with democracy is every stupid b*****d get's a vote
    --
    Windows XP, SP1
    Elite K7S5A
    AMD Athlon XP2000+
    Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
    Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
    Primary IDE Master: IBM Deskstar 40GB GXP
    Secondary IDE Master: Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R Burner
    Secondary IDE Slave: Lite-On 16102b (x16x10x40) Burner
    Primary IDE Slave: Toshiba 105 DVD-Rom Drive
    2 x Maxtor 80gb D740X on RAID 0
    512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
    SB Live 1024 Soundcard (driver 4.06.656)
    ADSL EA900 USB Modem
    ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

Originally posted by Flying dutchman
    There's a checkbox in HuffYuv for the rare programs that crash with it ("Always suggest RGB format for output").
    Been home for lunch.
    On the two minute clip I captured this worked, absolutely no crashes no matter what transition, layer etc. I tried!
    Excellent news, many thanks - I was going to give up and go back to the PicVideo MJPEG which I have 'shimmering' issues with
    I'll try the capture with huffyuv properly this evening on a 45 minute capture.
    Only thing is...
    Pinnacle Studio 8 doesn't detect scene breaks with huffyuv whilst with PicVideo MJPEG it does
    Also, I can't seem to split the clip (position the slider where you want the split to begin and right click on the frame, right?).
    Have you come either of these problems?
    Thanks again,
    Will
    --
    --
    Windows XP, SP1
    Elite K7S5A
    AMD Athlon XP2000+
    Matrox 32mb G400 Dual Head (682.016 display package) *not* in my father-in-law's machine
    Matrox Rainbow Runner G Series Capture Card (628 display driver and vt155e video tools) *not* in a box in the study
    512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
    ADSL EA900 USB Modem
    ...........ATI Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo *not* installed in place of my trusty old G400

Comment

Scene detection

Hi Will ! I've PS8 on a Win200Pro (Athlon 1.4GHz, 768MB...) and scene detection does work with the AVI files I've captured with the Huffyuv codec.

Comment

Hi mutrax, thanks for the post.
        I've tested quite a few captures with PS8 and huffyuv and for me at least it certainly does not scene detect
        Will
        --
        --
        Windows XP, SP1
        Elite K7S5A
        AMD Athlon XP2000+
        512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
        ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

Also, I can't seem to split the clip
          Put the scrubber over the clip on the timeline you wish to split and then use the razorblade tool.
          Pinnacle Studio 8 doesn't detect scene breaks with huffyuv...
          Which of the four methods of scene detection are you using? The default setting (based on time and date) will only work with DV captures.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick
            Which of the four methods of scene detection are you using? The default setting (based on time and date) will only work with DV captures.
            I'm not sure but as I mentioned it works fine with PicVideo MJPEG so envisaged it should work with huffyuv, yes?
            I'll do some playing now (...and thanks for the split suggestion, I'll try that too).
            Will
            --
            --
            Windows XP, SP1
            Elite K7S5A
            AMD Athlon XP2000+
            512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
            ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

Not sure how you lucked out with the PicVideo MJPEG, but you need to be using the second setting from the top when capturing analog video.

Comment

Not sure how you lucked out with the PicVideo MJPEG, but you need to be using the second setting from the top when capturing analog video.
                Did I not mention I don't capture with PS8?
                Sorry, I use Virtualdub for all captures, not PS8 (I have major audio/video sync issues) and when I import PicVideo avi's I get secene breaks automatically, not with avi's created with huffyuv.
                Sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'second setting from the top', in where?
                Thanks,
                Will
                --
                --
                Windows XP, SP1
                Elite K7S5A
                AMD Athlon XP2000+
                512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
                ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

Did I not mention I don't capture with PS8?
                  You did in your first post but I have a short retention span.

Scene detection can take place during capture or after the fact. When using Studio 8 to capture analog video, go into Setup/Capture Source and choose the second setting from the top which is Automatic based on video content. If you are capturing with a different utility, then afterwards while in Edit mode, right click your clip in the album (not on the timeline). This brings up a window containing options which will allow you to break up the captured clip. Choose Detect Scenes by Video Content when doing scene detection on non-DV clips.

Will, you’ll be much happier with Studio 8 or any editing software when you make the quantum jump to DV.

PS. I just wanted to mention to any newbies reading this thread who may be getting confused that breaking up a clip using scene detection and splitting a clip on the timeline are two totally different procedures, usually done for totally different reasons.
                  Last edited by Patrick; 28 April 2003, 14:29.

Comment

...you’ll be much happier with Studio 8 or any editing software when you make the quantum jump to DV.
                    I have made the jump, and trust me, I know the benefits
                    I'm only trawling through this hellish process to clear the eight vhs-c tapes I created on my anologue camcorder, and at which point I'll be taking the DV/firewire route.
                    I tried a 30 minute test of footage taken with my Sony TRV14 and man, is that easy (and don't even get my started on the quality increase).
                    I was amazed by the ease in which this footage transfers to the PC!
                    I think I may have mentioned but had this anologue footage not been so important (my first and so far only child's first year) I would have given up and an age ago and settled with PicVideo MJPEG quality 19 (which I have strange shimmering/slight shaking issues with).
                    I'll get there :lol:
                    Thanks for the help, and thanks for secene detection tips, I'll play around with it tonight.
                    Will

PS. I just wanted to mention to any newbies reading this thread...
                    Thanks for not inserting the word other after 'any' and before newbies, above, I wouldn't have minded
                    Take care,
                    W.
                    --
                    --
                    Windows XP, SP1
                    Elite K7S5A
                    AMD Athlon XP2000+
                    512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
                    ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

Oh, and don't get me started on 'should have bought a DV camcorder with anologue passthrough.
                      I know.
                      The EU imposes a levy on camcorder's with a record function, they class it as a VCR and charge us Euro-suckers more for the priviledge.
                      The Sony model with this function, the TRV19 hasn't been released in the UK yet and whilst I couldn't wait was already stretching myself with the TRV14
                      Will
                      --
                      --
                      Windows XP, SP1
                      Elite K7S5A
                      AMD Athlon XP2000+
                      512mb SDRam PC133 Memory
                      ADSL EA900 USB Modem

Comment

Working...
                      X