Help please - stubborn scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - stubborn scanner

Epson 1660P USB on W2K+SP3 with clean device manager..................refuses to work on this particular machine, but if I take it elsewhere on another W2K+SP3 machine its ok - ie - scanner/cable/driver not to blame.

On my problem machine - I get this message "Could not open the Twain source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the Twain directory found in the Windows Directory"

I have:

1. Removed and re-installed the driver (latest and original off disk)
    2.Swapped USB ports to others I know is working and have equipment running on.
    3. Googled about the hassle and saw a similar hassle where it was suggested to enable legacy support for the printer port (mine is USB though)
    4. Checked Epson FAQs - no go
    5. Compared Twain directories on the working and non working machines and they are identical.
    6. Device manager says all is ok and the scanner is listed without any !or X marks.

Running out of Jack Daniels here - is there somebody that may be able to suggest a method of making this darn thing work again?

Somebody suggested another app may be hanging onto the Twain source - I have nothing else I am aware of that should be, and Taskmanager confirms that - but lets say there is a hidden Twain chomper, how do I figure out which app it is?
    Lawrence

I had problems with Opti USB chipsets and Mustek scanners.

Is yours attached to the mainboard or an additiononal card? What chipset?

Comment

Is Epson listed in Control Panel -> Scanners and Cameras?

Comment

Re: Help please - stubborn scanner

Originally posted by LvR
        Running out of Jack Daniels here - is there somebody that may be able to suggest a method of making this darn thing work again?
        Switch to some real whiskey and try again!

What scanner app are you using?
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

BTW JJc nice Avatar!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

in the epson smart panel at the bottom right, is device "epson twain 5" or something else?

Comment

Kurt

Onboard USB2 - SIS655 chipset on a Gigabyte SINXP1394. It was working till this morning when suddenly it no longer wants to play nicely - no new sw/hw or drivers installed that I know of - no auto update anything running.

JJc
              Yep its listed as I mentioned and Windows says its happy with its existance.

GURU

Tried other whiskey, but it only serves to prolong the suffering and doesnt solve the problem of the scanner at all.

Running PS7.0.1, Corel9,10 and PSP7.0.4 - ie - anything that wants to talk Twain to the scanner pukes.

Downloaded a 142 page .pdf doc from Twain.org - found twunk_32.exe to use to troubleshoot the Twain interface and the error this thing details is described to the letter but makes no sense to me and they (Twain.org) offeres no solutions - only errors - very useful off-course

Exact message with technical blah.blah attached.

ayoub_ebrahim

You are right on there - EPSON Twain 5
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LvR; 24 April 2003, 11:21.
              Lawrence

Comment

Could be something with Windows.

Try imaging installation to disk/floppies and reinstalling.

If this doesn't help (provided you have flashed the board to lattest BIOS and have all the drivers), summon the priest/voodoo mage and have machine blessed/exorcised.

Comment

Have been speaking with forked tongue with said piece of hardware the whole damn day - blessing does not help.

Windows its gotta be - all 6 USB ports doesnt like the Epson 1660 - any other modem/printer operated through those are all happy - have 4 other devices connected via USB and no hassles there
                  Lawrence

Comment

got a digital camer or webcamera or anything else that uses twain there also??
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

you might try to reinstall the software you use for photo editing if you access your scanner through that. IE. reinstall (in my case) photo shop...that worked well for me once...also the software bundeled with said scanner...worth a go anyway...

~Sethos
                      "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I tried re-installing all of the packages I mentioned - no joy - all keeps complaining as confirmed by twack_32.exe

Only have Epson driver installed - no other garbage off the disk.

Its the only Twain source I have.

Cheers for the input guys.
                        Lawrence

Comment

Had an Epson 1250U refuse to work at all after I downloaded a driver update from windoze update. Re-installing the software worked but I had to make sure that it was using the older driver under the device manager otherwise no go. Same happened with my Umax. Sp3 I'll update your driver so you cannot scan anymore.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                            I tried re-installing all of the packages I mentioned - no joy - all keeps complaining as confirmed by twack_32.exe

Only have Epson driver installed - no other garbage off the disk.

Its the only Twain source I have.

Cheers for the input guys.
                            I also had to re-select the TWAIN source for some EPSON scanners occasionally. It would show two sources even though there was only one scanner (and no new software added).

Also, you might have a AC/DC adapter problem or a cable problem. The scanner might receive barely enough current to make it start but not enough for operations (hypothetically...).

Comment

Tried same scanner with same cable and psu on another machine - worked like a charm there so thats not it.
                              Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                              X