Canopus ADVC-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopus ADVC-100

I have posted some questions about this before... Perhaps a strange question now, but can this device also be used as a TV-out (duplicating e.g. the primary display) ? Or is the video-out only possible through editing software ?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

No: it requires a DV stream to convert to an analogue TV signal. It is not a graphics display per se because the connection from the computer is via IEEE-1394, which is a serial port.

It can be used with MSP7 to monitor what is happening on the timeline, if you are using DV.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks,

The flow diagram on this page

threw me off...

I figured: "if the computer can send an image to the Canopus, and the Canopus can send to a TV, then I thought might have been possible."
      But yes, come to think of it: to do what I asked would require something to convert the display to a DV signal.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Some interesting readings here:

Brian explained that a simple graphic card is okay but TV out is a must.

The Canopus diagram is quit confusing. I was convinced that it displays video to TV.

Are there any (cheaper) capturing alternatives for A/D video capture? Maybe in combination with the new Matrox P650/P750 cards?

The ADVC 100 is quit expensive to be used just as an A/D converter, or am I missing something here?
        Fred H
        Last edited by Fred H; 24 April 2003, 13:35.
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

For $100 less you can get the Canopus ADVC-50 which does not provide for DV to analog conversion, only analog to DV.

Fred

Comment

Fred H

The ADVC-100 is not just an A/D converter for the video. It is an A/D and D/A converter for video and audio to/from an analogue source/sink from/to a DV sink/source, in PAL and NTSC, 4:3 and 16:9 with high quality. IOW, if you have a system with a dual-head card and an ADVC-100 (with a low-cost IEEE-1394 card, of course), you can not only capture analogue as well as DV, but you can use two screens plus a TV for editing in MSP7, without buying a Parhelia and an RT-Xn. Expensive? No!

I wouldn't be without mine!

Comment

fberger

Do you remember this?
              I would be interested in selling it so I can switch to the Matrox card. I can't justify having both, but if all you want is conversion from analogue to DV then the ADVC-50 is ideal.
              If I’d buy a Canopus ADVC I’d spend the extra $ 100 for the ADVC-100.

Brian,

Thanks. It’s clear now. I’ve been just confused a little bit.
              My comments at the linked thread are still valid

Fred H

Comment

Just what do you loose when going from the -100 to the -50 ?
                (no DV->analog conversion: I could live with it; no preview is most likely not that important for my (amateur) use)

Oh, when used in a PCI-slot, does it use any resources apart from power (e.g. if put in a 64 bit 100 MHz PCI-X, will it cause the bus to slow down ?)

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

At the present I am using only analog camcorder so the Marvel G400 does the job in W2K.
                  It's one from my earlier comments at the linked thread.
                  The only difference is that I solved the Marvel G400 and the Windows XP issue.
                  I'm still using "my" analog camcorder, when I am able to "borrow" it back from my daughters.
                  Therefor is my comment still valid. In the present I don't need any A/D or D/A converter, do I?

Edited:
                  Right. Don’t need DV->AV conversion. And, when I’ll purchase a DV camcorder, don’t need A/D Input to camcorder. A DVD burner is the way to go (for me)

Regards,
                  Fred H
                  Last edited by Fred H; 25 April 2003, 02:27.

Comment

Although I replaced my Marvel with it, I use it much more often D>A than A>D, during editing prior to burning DVDs! It is useful to see on a TV screen what you are getting (overscan and gamma), that you cannot see on one or two monitors. The quality of the DVD improves enormously. I've even used it to record a couple of "DV" VHS tapes as copies for my daughter, who does not have a DVD player yet.

Edit: another advantage over the Marvel is that both DV and analogue input are 720 pixels wide. This means I can mix sources in the same project without losses or re-rendering.
                    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 25 April 2003, 04:00.

Comment

another advantage over the Marvel is that both DV and analogue input are 720 pixels wide.
                      One of the most important reason I am looking for another card is the Marvels 704x576.
                      I must re-render every clip to DVD compliant 720x576 format to be able to burn it.
                      The same is valid for SVCD, which decreses the quality of the final video.
                      The Matrox RT-X?? are out of my considerations.
                      Canopus could be the way to go for me (in the future).

Just now I am mostly interested of digital photo (Nikon CoolPix 995) and my only camcorder went to my daughters, but I've never got any capture of my grand children. I can see them in "life movie"
                      So, grandpa' must purchase a new DV camcorder for himself...

Fred H

Comment

I think I read in one of the threads here that 704x576 *is* a valid DVD format...
                        Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Originally posted by Fred H
                          fberger

Do you remember this? If I’d buy a Canopus ADVC I’d spend the extra $ 100 for the ADVC-100.

Brian,

Thanks. It’s clear now. I’ve been just confused a little bit.
                          My comments at the linked thread are still valid

Fred H
                          Fred H:

Yeah, at that time I was contemplating buying an RT.X10 but could not justify having the ADVC-50 also. The ADVC-50 is half the price of the Matrox card, and that makes the ADVC-50 attractive in certain situations. It does not do everyting the 100 does obviously, it's the smaller model.
                          If you are still using an old graphics card like a Marvel G200 and are interested in dual display you could save the $100 and buy a Matrox P650 for an extra $65. With this setup you get a flexible 2 display card that gives you more power than your old card, plus an ADVC-50 for analog to DV conversions.

Fred

Comment

fberger
                            Right, your point of view is highly considered as a good solution.
                            My decision in the future depends on WHEN I’ll purchase my DV camcorder.
                            Until that I must live with my old trusty Marvel G400.
                            Anyway, it is nice to discus different solutions…
                            It’s funny to see how many people are hanging around here at this forum.
                            I am retired and have broadband, so I am online, but I am running around here in my house and I read the forum every hour or so.
                            Who said that this forum is not on top anymore?
                            It IS.

Fred H

Comment

@ brian

Does the ADVC-100 come with the Canopus DV codec for rendering video or does one have to make-do with the M$ jobbie?
                              Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Working...
                              X