Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Matrox AVI without the Marvel

Hi,
    I'd like to batch compress the Matrox RRicm MJPEG avi's using a second PC, but can't open them on a machine without the Matrox card and software installed (MJPEG codec?)

I'm getting great results with Avid cinema 352x576 (MJPEG 2MB/s), freeware VirtualDub for post clipping and freeware TMPGEnc to crop, deinterlace and scale to MPEG1 VCD files taking 10x duration on a Pentium 800. It's faster and gives better results than using Ligos lite.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    thanks,
    Rob.

p.s.
    I'm also looking forward to trying SVCD's as it appears many DVD players can handle them. 480x480(or PAL 480x576) MPEG2 VBR, interlaced support, etc 34-70mins playtime. I'll get Nero Burning 5.0 to author these.

Sorry Rob, since the matrox codec is a hardware codec you can't use it in a PC that doesn't have the hardware installed.

However, there are MJPEG software codecs that can be used instead. The general principles are well covered in Uwe's http://idiots-guide.matroxusers.com/guides/codec.html

I'm not sure that the specific software codecs mentioned are still available, but others have taken their place. If anyone has info on these, please let us know...

Comment

Thanks for the good advice Chris.

For the record, the Morgan codec is still there with a till November downloadable kit.

The codec (/win95) installed in Windows2000. The MM settings applet with it would not run, but I got to them using Control panel, Admin tools, Multimedia...

The default settings are for speed, not quality. I set it to the best settings and have used it to create a VCD mpeg test file. It looks very similar to using the hardware codec, perhaps a little better, although I use a noise filter during mpeg compression so that would hide some difference.

The software code on an AMD K6-2 400 is running at 6.8 times slower than the Marvel on a Pentium III 800, thats 1/68th real-time speed! It's a start!

cheers,
      Rob.

Comment

You're welcome

I love it when we can get a quick result, and I'm doubly happy that the Morgan codec is still available. If you do a search on "morgan" on the forum, you might pick up some more tips on how to configure it for various purposes.

Still be nice to hear from anyone that has recent experience with other soft codecs that will work in similar manner

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X