Recipes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipes.....

The cheese thread got me going on food, so I thought I'd start a thread about some of our favorite recipes.

Today we're having an all-American favorite: Bean, bacon & ham soup.

3 lbs cooked navy beans w/enough of the cooking water to 1/2 cover them
    2/3 cup chicken stock
    2/3 cup beef stock
    1 large onion - diced
    2 cups ham cut into 1/2" cubes
    1.5 cup baby carrots sliced into 1/2" sections
    1/3 cup diced bacon (chopped in food processor will do)
    6 whole strips bacon
    1 tbsp diced garlic
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp rosemary
    1 tsp thyme

No salt necessary because of the bacon and ham being salt cured, but if you want.....

Mix all but the bacon strips together in a soup pot and simmer until the carrots are almost tender. Now place the bacon strips on top and simmer another 10 minutes.

We serve it with oyster crackers and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Yummy

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 April 2003, 18:43.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks really nice.

ps. Just printed this page for later use.

Comment

Hmmm... garlic, plenty of spices, and not one, but two kinds of pig. How can you possibly go wrong with that?

Dammit, now I'm salivating all over myself...
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Nice...with winter coming around here that looks very nice.

Comment

It was cool here today so something like this really hit "the spot".

BTW: grocery store paprika will work fine, but I usually go down to an ethnic store in the Hungarian part of town and get some of the imported "good stuff": Sweet Kulonleges, Szeged mild/hot or Kalocsa Csemege Sweet....depends on your taste.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 April 2003, 19:02.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

When I get home I've got a great recipie (all kinds really) I'll post my fav later, and any requests??

~Sethos
            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Yummy, Doc!

One of my favourites is Moitié-moitié cheese fondue (quantities per peson):

Take a glazed earthenware pan (the Swiss call it a caquelon) and crush 1/2 a clove of garlic therein. Add 1 dl of a very dry white wine (e.g., Chasselas such as a Vaudois Dorin or a Valaisan Fendant) and heat it slowly to simmering point. Sprinkle in slowly 110 g of grated gruyère doux, stirring all the time (if you use a fatty gruyère, it may separate). When this has all melted, add 110 g of vacherin fribourgeois (do NOT confuse with vacherin Mont d'Or, which is totally different), cut into 1 cm cubes and continue heating until this has melted. Take 35 cc of kirsch (a very dry, colourless, cherry schnapps: pruneau, pflumli, slivovitz or similar can also be used but it should be from an aromatic fruit with a stone) in a glass and stir in a teaspoon of cornflour (starch) until it is lump free. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and slowly stir in the kirsch/cornflour mixture, stopping if the mixture becomes too thick (it should coat a wooden spoon with an opaque 1/4 mm layer). Add a pinch of sodium bicarbonate and freshly ground black pepper to taste and a half-teaspoon of mild paprika. Transfer to a spirit lamp or similar, to keep it just boiling. Cut a French baguette into 2 cm slices and break each slice into 4, keeping crust on each piece. Spear a piece of bread through the crumb into the crust onto a long fork or a skewer and dip into the mixture, drain and ENJOY. Repeat ad nauseam! Drink the same wine with it.

You can try other hard and semi-hard cheeses, but the combination above is my all-time favourite.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

mmmmmmmmmm.... i can feel my arteries furring up already!

I like it!
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Best home made chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world:

First mix these together, electric hand mixer works best, otherwise use a wisk, in order:

3/4 (1 1/2 sticks) softened, not melted, real butter (margarine works, butter is better), whipped
                  3/4 cups light brown sugar (dark = evil)
                  1 egg, beaten
                  1 cup milk, whole for best taste, 1% for less fat, skim = evil
                  2-3 tsp (depending on likes) real vanilla extract

In a seperate bowl mix:

1 1/2 cups flour
                  1/4 white granulated sugar (C&H bakery sugar works the best)
                  3/4 tsp baking powder
                  3/4 tsp baking soda
                  3 dashes of salt

Slowly stir the powder mixture into with the wet mixture with hand mixer. Do not over mix, the dough should have a slightly grainy texture. Add 1 to 1.5 bags of your favorite chocolate chips, I prefer 1 bags of Ghiredhelli (sp?) semi-sweet and 0.5 bag of milk or double chocolate.

Leave the mixture in the refridgerator overnight, or for at least 6 hours, for best results. Preheat oven at 375 F. Roll dough into 1" balls and place them on a cookie sheet. Cook for 7-10 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown.

Once you pull them out of the oven, scoop yourself some vanilla bean ice cream, throw some nice warm cookies in and enjoy If cooked a little gooey the cookies won't harden in the ice cream, even after 5-10 minutes ... it's yummy.

Jammrock
                  Last edited by Jammrock; 23 April 2003, 06:30.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                  X