Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?Tutor?

Ok so this is a rant of sorts...

I tutor students in lower level maths like algebra, algebra 2, pre calc and so on...at my school, but I'm really about fed up with it!! I wasted my morning waiting for this kid to show up for his tutoring session, and he never showed! This is a kid that seriously needs help. he doens't even know the proper form of a solved equation, a huge must for basic algebra, ya know. and it's not that there was some emergency or he was sick or what have you, he's just too dam* lazy to get his butt outa bed and learn a bit of math and they wonder why they're failing. The real kicker is that they blame us for they're not understanding. I just don't know what to do to get them to even show up or care...i'm in a bit of dismay hopefully it'll get better...either way I graduate soon so it won't be my problem much longer thank God!

~Sethos
    "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

You were there and that is what counts. I commend you for your efforts in trying to help someone less fortunate. But you know the old saying. "You can lead and horse to water but you can't make him drink."

I'm sure not all of them are like that. So stick by your principals and hang in there and don't let this one sour you againist all the rest.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

He could at least have called to say he wouldn't come.

AZ

P.S.: Anybody up for helping me with maths when I need it? (have literally slept in maths class the last two years )
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Re: ?Tutor?

Originally posted by Sethos
        Ok so this is a rant of sorts...

I tutor students in lower level maths like algebra, algebra 2, pre calc and so on...at my school, but I'm really about fed up with it!! I wasted my morning waiting for this kid to show up for his tutoring session, and he never showed! This is a kid that seriously needs help. he doens't even know the proper form of a solved equation, a huge must for basic algebra, ya know. and it's not that there was some emergency or he was sick or what have you, he's just too dam* lazy to get his butt outa bed and learn a bit of math and they wonder why they're failing. The real kicker is that they blame us for they're not understanding. I just don't know what to do to get them to even show up or care...i'm in a bit of dismay hopefully it'll get better...either way I graduate soon so it won't be my problem much longer thank God!

~Sethos
        Warn him, and if that does not work, tell your boss/program coordinator and his advisor if he has one and if it does not improve, cur him loose. You could be helping someone that actually wants it.

Comment

Re: ?Tutor?

Originally posted by Sethos
          ...won't be my problem much longer thank God!
          As a former High School teacher let me assure you that it was never your problem.
          You are not this student's mother.
          If part of your duties is to report the student's behavior, then do it.
          Many kids are like that. Hell, I was like that untill I was almost 30!
          If you think that's frustrating, wait till you run into someone like that in the work force, with a big project on the line!
          It will happen to you many times in your life. Don't take it too hard.
          Chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanx guys, yeah we just started this tutoring program this year and it's been a rough battle all the way, first trying to get the district to ok it b/c budget cuts and such then trying to get the kids to care and all that sutff, but I'm feeling much better now

~Sethos
            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Many kids are like that. Hell, I was like that untill I was almost 30!
              hell - i still am
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                hell - i still am
                *raises hand guiltily*
                I hate flankers...

Comment

Wish I worked harder at school I'd be a lot better off now if I had.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

*raises hand guiltily*
                    I know you are at the library working!
                    Whilst I on the other hand.... am talking to you!
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      Wish I worked harder at school I'd be a lot better off now if I had.
                      No problem!
                      Go back.
                      Me:
                      First degree @ < 30 (BS in Education): 2.1 GPA
                      Second degree @ > 40 (BS in CompSci): 3.9 GPA

School was much easier when I got older, even though I had to go at night after work.
                      Chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm going on 71 and I pride myself that I've never stopped learning (and forgetting what I have learned ). My degree was in electronics engineering (dissertation colour TV - in 1951!!!), but I've done many post-grad courses in chemistry, physics, toxicology, business management, atmospheric sciences etc. I lived in Switzerland for 35 years and so am bilingual English/French, with some knowledge of several other languages, and have done much professional technical journalism and authored several books. After all this boastful trumpet blowing, my school results were abysmal because I was bloody lazy, even though I had a very retentive mind.

Despite my feel for language, I'm sorry to admit that I've met my Waterloo: learning Greek. I have lived here for 5 years and can say all the usual greetings but hold a real conversation is like it would be in Chinese or Finnish. I put it down to old age, but I feel frustrated and have all but given up.

To get back to your subject, I can understand your frustration. I had similar problems when I taught at Cambridge Tech University, with one student who was even lazier than me. I did hit on a solution, almost by accident, though. In a private tutorial session with him, I let slip that he was going to be my first student not to get his intermediate degree (I was teaching 3rd yr students) and he would certainly have to do the year again or flunk out. He replied that he couldn't let me down like that and he started to work as he ought. Believe it or not, he came in second at the year-end exams, not for himself but for me.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                        X