ATI AIW 16MB
    PIII 550e
    Maxtor Diamond Max 40plus hard drive
    192MB PC 100

Marvel G400
    Celeron 450a
    Maxtor 5120 hard drive
    128MB PC 100

This is kind of weird. Although the ATI system has a faster processor, more ram, and a faster hard drive it's buffers often run up to 50 while capturing using avi_io.

The system with the Marvel's buffers never go beyond 3 or 4 on ANY capture. Same compression settings and everything on both systems.

Anyone know why?
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Because the Marvel is a better card? ;-)

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The ATI's Brooktree processor barely does enough work to warrant its existence.
      Deep is not the root word of depression.

Comment

--------------------------------------
        The ATI's Brooktree processor barely does enough work to warrant its existence.
        --------------------------------------

It does so little work that it doesn't need a macrovision crack or YUY enabler hack

(Actually I've never used the ATI card, but I assume it's a lot like the WinTV)

Comment

Are you sure that ATI capture uses YUY2 or YVYU formats? They are very similar, and work faster than RGB for Huffyuv compression. Anyway, if you don't get dropped frames, what is the difference between those two cards? Both work, and if you don't look at buffers, work equally.
          Grigory

Comment

The All-In-Wonder 128 has no work around for the 2 GB avi file size. It's video capture side is basically a TV card that has the ability to output video. No dropped frames but that's only because it drops so much information within the frame...

------------------

Comment

The BT848 based Hauppauge Win/TV card is IMHO much better for AVI_IO captures than the BT829 based ATI products. ATI has alledgedly better software but has proprietary codecs and long history of obsoleting cards before the drivers are working correctly.

The "certified" ATI WDM capture drivers included on the Windows 2000 OEM CD is the best way I know to blue screen windows 2000.

The only things going for the ATI is that like the Marvel, its a single slot solution, but the Marvel is far superior in every way.

--wally.

Comment

Hi all

I think we should be carefull when complaining about ATI windows 2000 drivers CD

Some one may ask to see ours ;-)

Comment

Check that DMA is on for your IDE drives. It is by far the most often overlooked setting. Also, the YUY2 capture quality of Matrox is a lot worse than ATI. Captured frames are blurred. Less detailed picture results in better compression and possibly in less dropped frames. Matrox is superior to ATI (esp. drivers) except the deinterlacing which destroys YUY2/RGB/low res MJPEG capture.

Comment

Working...
                  X