SARS a fast mutator....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SARS a fast mutator....

More good news: SARS is a fast mutating virus, which means it'll be tough to make a vaccine

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You know I've just see Randell Flagg just walk up the street in his Cowboy boots and Denims.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

great. *sigh*

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        You know I've just see Randell Flagg just walk up the street in his Cowboy boots and Denims.
        No shite....in lock-step with Damien Thorne

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

They mentioned on the radio this morning that it being a fast mutator, it may mutate into something less deadly ( or more I suppose )
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Or more likely it'll mutate into multiple strains; some relatively harmless and some with the potential to cause a pandemic like the 1918 Spanish flu. That strain killed 30-40 million people worldwide and about 675,000 in the US alone.

Our defences agains a flu pandemic are not much better now than they were in 1918, save for some antiviral drugs that are so expensive and of such low production volume as to be useless in a pandemic.

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 April 2003, 12:30.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

How did they get rid of the spanish flu back then?.. did it just mutate itself away?
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

It ran its course like most corona viruses do;

eventually the health agencies started quaranteening those infected

uninfected people started wearing masks

uninfected people stopped going out and interacting with others

those who had it and survived (most) had created antibodies, which reduced the re-infection rate and made them less likely to be carriers.

With these occurances the transmission rate dropped enough to stop the pandemic. Also helpful was that Spanish flu was not a particularly fast mutator.

The problem with a fast mutator is that you can get multiple strains going, all developing at different times, which can extend the timeline.

Making matters worse as regards SARS:

the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have just vertified that the mortality rate for SARS is now higher than that of the 1918 pandemic.

Wonderful.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 April 2003, 13:23.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Silence is Golden

At least we can thank the Chinese for their openess and willingness to inform the rest of the world of this outbrake. Without them and their accurate reporting of infections etc, the disease would have spread much further. After hearing about their incompetance all I could do was shake my head in disbelieve . Luckilly for us in the UK, an expert has reported that the chances of mass infections are slight. Lets hope he's not talking out of his arse

Regards MD
                  Interests include:
                  Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Making matters worse as regards SARS:

the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have just vertified that the mortality rate for SARS is now higher than that of the 1918 pandemic.

Well our 'plus' today is, that there are better supporting therapies than 1918 (virostatics etc.). The hygienic conditions in many of our countries are better, too. The spanish one came directly after world war I - really no good moment. Well and people, medical docs. and hospital employees are better informed, too.

The minus is the much air traffic. So the trick will be to recognize all diseased persons as early as possible.

Well, we'll see. At least it's no good news again.

ps. Some days ago they developed a quick test on SARS not far away from my home. It will be produced and spread all over the world for free.

Comment

Yea... there seems to have many difference variants of SARS in the world. That really suck

I sometimes wonder if Chinese herbs is effectively against SARS... I heard somewhere that the WHO says herbs are effective against SARS a while back.

Comment

Don't bet the worlds safety on Chinese anything....it was their public health departments screwing around that let it get out of control in the first place.

Fortunately that may be getting fixed....but I wouldn't depend on teas & herbs for anti-viral protection. It's more complex than that.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hey doc. I know you are a doctor or a medical professor or something. But have you ever tried herbs at all?

Just wondering...

edit: yea. the chinese health department screwed up big time!
                          Last edited by Chrono_Wanderer; 22 April 2003, 19:54.

Comment

Yes I have. Did they work?

Not any more than one would expect from the placebo effect, which with infectious diseases is a dangerous thing to put your faith in.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              Don't bet the worlds safety on Chinese anything....it was their public health departments screwing around that let it get out of control in the first place.

Fortunately that may be getting fixed....but I wouldn't depend on teas & herbs for anti-viral protection. It's more complex than that.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Like Chrono, I'm wondering whether you have tried them (the REAL thing, not from some immigrants who claim to be a doctor) too.
                              I myself, apparently, have been using them for many years (but not exclusively) and I think they are wonderful for what they are.

I'm not saying herbs would have any effects on SARS, but I know one person using it against cancer and have great success.
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X