Ok since no one else is posting this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok since no one else is posting this!

CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

Duel of the Titans: Opteron vs. Xeon

The mood in our labs was thick with excitement - there was barely a week to perform detailed tests on a total of four platforms. AMD had sent in a server with Dual Opteron processors for testing with little time to spare before launch. And it quickly became clear who its rival would be: an Intel Dual Xeon, the 3 GHz version. This article describes the results from our duelling test systems.

We had to take an entirely new approach to test the 64-bit architecture of the Opteron both as a server and as a workstation. We used the brand new Suse Linux Enterprise Server 8 (SLES) with its latest kernel 2.4.19. A total of 30 server and workstation benchmarks were used in this review to fathom the performance of AMD's new Opteron processor.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Wow!

I miss the old days when I had to optimize the program code in assembler using 6 registers.

It seems to me a quite impressive processor, I mean, when benchamarked with non-64bit-optimized apps. it stands quite well againt processor rated at much more speed!

That brings another issue, does AMD and Intel 64bit 0x86 processors run the same generic 64bit code?
    or we will need to donwload specific processor optimized executables for the programs?

ciao,
    ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

amd uses an extension to the normal -86 code.
      Intel is using a complete new instruction set.

Amd's main problem is clock frequency not speed.
      they are clocked to damn slow!!
      If they had been clocked 500mhz higher they would have blown the xeons out of the water
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And being that they lengthened the pipelines, they have good headroom for the clock speed...i wonder what's holding it back exactly?

Comment

Reading it now!

Comment

As far as I know they still have some problems with their SOI (silicon on insulator) tech, thats what keeps clockspeeds low and delayed athlon 64, but they seem to be getting the hang of it.

nforce3 is announced, btw

Comment

Opteron: Pushing x86 to the Limit

www.aceshardware.com
              Last edited by KeiFront; 22 April 2003, 12:16.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Anyway, AMD is going in the right direction, IPC is definitly up
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

can't wait for the 64bits windows to test this...

Comment

Am I reading Toms wrong, or does the Xeon system have a 9700Pro video card, and the AMD system have a 8Mb Trident with default drivers?

Im not sure that can be right though, otherwise the rendering tests would be MUCH worse on the AMD, (unless they are software rendered?).

I must be missing something.

Ali

Comment

LOL... 3DSMAX on a Trident I doubt that.

Comment

BTW... did IBM/Dell/Sun/others anonuced their plans for K8?

Comment

IBM will sell Opteron servers as far as I know, HP wont

Comment

IBM is launch partner. They will sell hardware (eServers, 2-4 way machines, bigger ones are in testing, featuring the Summit chipset), and of course DB2 for AMD64, both for Linux and Win2k3.

AZ
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

that's good! AMD semms to have close ties with IBM... like the use of SOI etc...

on the other hand... HP develops IA-64 w/Intel, so they probably won't work with AMD. I wonder if they regret it tho...

Comment

Working...
                              X