• Show
Clear All

• LAN 2kPro/XPHome/98SE

Hi Folks,

Problem: 3 PCs,
    1st PC: Win2KPro+SP3
    2nd PC: XPHome+SP1
    3rd PC: 98SE

The XPHome PC is my new one and my problem started as I wanted to include it in my LAN....
    As long as the 98SE Machine is on and within the LAN both the XPHome and 2KPro Machines have no problem finding and accessing all PCs... but if I switch off the 98SE machine they can't find each other... if I have a connected net-drive it can still be used and a ping is OK, but just for a while after a few minutes even that doesn't work anymore....
    All PCs are in the same workgroup, I use assigned IPs (192.168.0.x) for TCP/IP + Frametype 802.2 for IPX...
    On both the XPHome and 2KPro machines users were created for the other machines... For the XP+2K machines netbios over TCP/IP is activated for the LAN (as without it they seem to be unable to connect to the 98SE machine)...
    The 98SE nic is a Realtek, the other ones are using the SiS onboard LAN (but I don't think that this is part of the problem)...
    I have disabled the services for DNS+DHCP, but even if enabled the behaviour is the same (And I would prefer to stay without them, as whenever I have them enabled on my 2KPro machine I have to allow them netaccess through ZoneAlarm or are unable to connect to the internet, disabled it just runs fine - And NO ZA isn't the problem here, as I am just using the LAN if not connected to the Internet and therefore it is not activated (but even with it running I never had any problems with 98SE-2KPro))... If you wish I can include a list of my enabled/disabled services (in german) - but as I already checked with all set to automatic (on both machines) and the problem stays I first would like to see if someone has some ideas that I may try... and if you need more information about my setup - please ask, as I am not sure wich type of info would be appropriate here (and I do not want to include to much text that is just offtopic)

Thanks,
    SHAnDRA
    Last edited by Shandra; 21 April 2003, 07:00.

Hi Folks,

Grmpf, foolish me....
    Had forgotten how long it takes for windows to catch up within its network neighborhood....
    'twas because I had disabled the browser service and so only my 98SE machine was able to act as the master browser for the LAN... if I had waited those 15minutes and not only activated all services i do not had to ask in the first place... grmpf....

CU,
    SHAnDRA

Comment

Can take longer than fifthteen minutes we've timed it at work and it's taken up to 45 minutes for a machine to register a change in the network.
      If you sit and watch a large lan you will see machines reappearing and disappearing as the master browsers get switched on and off. If you've got linux machines on the network it gets even more interesting.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X