Who needs SVGA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs SVGA?

My IBM G50 monitor just went bonkers, brightness would fluctuate dramaticly, along with picture size. Back to ye ole IBM 8513 PS/2 VGA, 640x480 max resolution, 10.38" diagonal image size. Really annoyed that IBM uses some funky clip attachment for the G50's case, I don't have any screwdrivers or anything else long and skinny enough to release the top of the case to check for cold solder joints that I could repair myself.

Well, figured out how to just use brute force to open the case, but now I've been foiled by the nuts that hold the shielding on since don't have any metric sockets to turn 'em. If I'm lucky, the problem is just a bad resistor... should be interesting see one way or the other.

Comment

Those 8513's can do 800x600 (but you loose a few inches off the top and bottom - 56Hz ) and even 1024x768 if you go interlaced and hit the screen as you turn it on and off a few times till it locks on to the picture properly

Comment

LOL. The ghettoness of it all.

Comment

Not sure how to adjust tweak the refresh rate with ATI drivers, and whenever I run Powerstrip it dumps the monitor to a refresh rate that it can't handle. I should find out soon if I can repair the G50, but at least the 8513 still has nice focus and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
            Not sure how to adjust tweak the refresh rate with ATI drivers, and whenever I run Powerstrip it dumps the monitor to a refresh rate that it can't handle. I should find out soon if I can repair the G50, but at least the 8513 still has nice focus and everything.
            I don't use powerstrip, but isn't it that if you hold down Ctrl or Shift or something when you start it, it will reset its config file?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just deleted the .ini file and it started working fine. But the monitor doesn't seem to want to sync work at any resolution other than 640x480 @ 60 Hz. Probably not the best idea to try to push it anyway, don't need to burn it out before I've got a replacement.

Comment

What will you get as replacement?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

First things first, gotta find a 180k 1/2 watt resistor to replace the likely suspect part in the G50. Then, if that fails... something in the sub $100 range. I.E. a used monitor, can't afford a new one right now.

Comment

Woot! Didn't get around to fixing my G50 yet, but my uncle got tired of his SyncMaster 700s taking up so much room on his desk and got a LCD monitor instead, giving me the 700s. After looking at that tiny 8513 for a while, this 17" thing looks positivily HUGE. Focus, convergence, and contrast are all excellent. Brightness was a rather dim though at first, but was easily fixed with a little tweak or two of the screen adjustment on the flyback transformer.

Comment

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Back to ye ole IBM 8513 PS/2 VGA, 640x480 max resolution, 10.38" diagonal image size.
                        And this is what is known as techi hell

~Sethos
                        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X