• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wines do you like?

My favourites are:
    Red: a good Australian Shiraz for a robust wine
    A Gamay, such as a Moulin-à-Vent for a lighter wine
    A Pinot Noir, such as some from Washington State or a Gevrey Chambertin for in-between (or an Italian Barbera)

Rosé: very few, but I do like the Oeil de Perdrix de Montmollin (Auvernier, canton de Neuchâtel, Switzerland), which is also a Pinot Noir. I have also had an excellent rosé from the Loire Valley, also Pinot Noir.

White: For cheese dishes or even as an apéritif, there is little to beat a Swiss Chasselas, preferably from La Côte, such as a Mont-sur-Rolle (floral character).
    To accompany fish, it needs something a little less light. A good Graves is OK, but a Pouilly-Fuissé is better.

As I live on a viticultural island, I must say there are not many really good wines, but a few passable ones. The Mavro grape, unique here, gives a good, full-bodied red wine, especially if blended with Grenache. Most of the commercial products from the big wineries (Keo, Sodap, etc.) are relatively mediocre - but drinkable - except, perhaps from their more pricy, low-volume specialities. This list would not be complete without mentioning Commandaria. This is a very sweet, thick, heavy, dessert wine (far too sweet for my palate) of excellent quality, unique to this island. It has been vinified here since the 11th century, originally by the Order of Commanders of St. John (hence the name), out on a jolly crusade.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

i liek bordoux.. red and white.. 1997 and 1998 vintage... there are some californian brands that i like but cant remeber their name.... lebanese win used to be good pre 1990... but anything after that especialy thae last two years have been shit.... i am talking about the main ones "Ksara and Kefraya... the others where never good any way like Wardeh, Chatou Musar and others.......

havent ried any of the stufe you mentiond.. although now you have encouraged me to go out and look for some... i dont like rose or sweet wine.... just red and white....
    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

I just bought two bottles of Omaka Springs Reserve Pinot Noir. Nice wine for $16.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I haven't found a wine I don't like yet. Like Whisky Wine you've got to hide when I'm around.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ve have three distinct viticultural regions here, however due to small volumes, our vines haven't become big itnernational brands. Nontheless, there are quite a few excelent small series private producers.

The south-west mediterranean coastal region is more famous for its red wines, while the north-west region bordering Panonian depression (Hungary) is more white wine oriented. The south-east hilly region is known for Cvicek - local blended wine, light, with accentuated acid and lower alcochol.

I very much like Merlot Bagueri.

merlot

I also like Cabernet Sauvignon.

I prefer red wines, however I sometimes fancy white wines with pasta, deserts and fruit.

grey pinot and Chardonnay come to mind.
          Last edited by UtwigMU; 19 April 2003, 11:08.

Comment

I like Bordeaux and some of the sweeter German white wines.

Comment

Mad Dog 20/20

Orange Jubilee flavour

Ok, not really one that I like, but it's one that I like to dare people to drink
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Well, Codeweaver's wine is quite nice, and winex of course.
                ...oh, THOSE wines
                -Slougi

Comment

heh, most wines I have experienced has a smell that can kill and a taste that will finish the job
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I like most wines especially the Rhines and Reislings, but of late I've become addicted to the non-alcoholic Spumontes by a Michigan winery: St. Julian.

They make several variants from Wild Berry, Cherry and other fruits to grape variants and even sparkling ciders. Good stuff, especially when very cold, and very inexpensive.

Dr. Mordid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Re: Which wines do you like?

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                      ...Red: a good Australian Shiraz for a robust wine...
                      Yellow Tail: best wine you'll ever find @ $10
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Tignanello.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

Best I've had to date: Bon Pasteur 1994 (Pomerol). Got another 6 in the fridge.
                          Umf
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I've been trying a few argentinian malbecs recently - really quite nice
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I recetnly had a very nice Deloche 2000, and I must say that despite it's relativly young age, it was supprisingly good. The nose was great, it lingered nicely on the pallet, and it had some great legs :evil: a nice smooth yet bold red to go great with a nice london broil.

~Sethos
                              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X