X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best type of CHEESE?

What's the best type of CHEESE?

Need some!!!

Havarti, feta, 12 month old chedder are some good ones IMO. I'm not a big connaiseur on cheese.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

There is no "best type". Of the thousands of cheeses available in this world, there are good and bad. Generally speaking, if a cheese of a given type is made in a factory, it is bad. If it is made in a farmhouse, it is good. If it is made in Denmark, it is atrocious, usually a horrible copy of what would be a good cheese made elsewhere. And good cheeses are almost invariably made from unpasteurised milk; pasteurisation and/or skimming ruin cheese.

Some cheeses I very much like:
      Blue Stilton (Huntingdonshire)
      Real farmhouse Cheddar (difficult to find, Somerset)
      Bonchester Bridge (Roxburghshire, now impossible to find because of EU regulations )
      Good, ripe, farmhouse Camembert (Normandy)
      Reblochon (Savoy)
      Etivaz (Vaud, Switzerland)
      Vacherin Mont d'Or (Vaud, Switzerland)
      Appenzeller (Appenzell, Switzerland)
      (For fondue, 50% Gruyère doux and 50% Vacherin fribourgeois: for raclette, Bagnes)
      Buffalo Mozarella (S. Italy, wonderful in a tomato salad with plenty of fresh basil and extra virgin, green, olive oil or for real pizzas)
      A good, mature Parmesan (Tuscany)
      White Gorgonzola (Italy: I find this one is more subtle to the taste buds than the more common blue one)
      Sheeps' Halloumi (Cyprus, a unique cheese, do not buy the cow-milk imitation: goat is also acceptable).

Non-exhaustive list.
      Last edited by Brian Ellis; 19 April 2003, 00:36.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Velveta.

Comment

Cheeze Whiz - you know it's good if they're legally required to misspell cheese. Same thing applies to Froot Loops.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

MURC CHEEZE is the very BEST!!!
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Wexford Cheese... Available at Sainsbury

Review

Dunno what happened to the link.... Copy & Paste this link for the review..

Last edited by THE_Editor; 21 April 2003, 01:52.
              Paul ... Peterborough ..Uk

....Ex- Perth ...WA .....

The ( EX) Forrestfield Flyer

Comment

agree with Paul. MURC cheese is the best!

Comment

I just tried some cheese last night, some sort of Irish cheese... I don't remember the name tho. It was the best cheese I'd had to just cut a hunk and munch on... if thats your thing...
                  P=I^2*R
                  Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

I like about any kind of cheese, but my absolute favorite is good ole' white farm cheese as made by the dairy farming relatives on my fathers side. Some of these good people are Pennsylvania Mennonites & Amish, but others are from the Wisconsin highlands.

That stuff is so sharp it'll cut off a good sized chunk of your tongue

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 April 2003, 17:52.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I am a cheddar guy myself. Medium or sharp depending on the use or situation. Or mood for that matter

Tillamook is the smoothest, but you can't get it everywhere.

Also, good feta is good, take a small plate, break(not cut) up several smallish chunks(bite size) pieces and drizzle them with some real nice olive oil. Then crush some oregano on them, for colour and flavour. Don't overdo either the oil or the herb. Nice snack and healty.
                      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Depends on what you want to do with it!

Eating 'neat', cooking etc.....
                        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

I like to eat it with crackers, but mostly just needed to start a CHEESE thread....

Comment

I personally like Baby swiss cheeze
                            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Brie
                              chuck
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X