10Bit Gigacolour Qs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10Bit Gigacolour Qs

Been meaning to catch Wombat in irc but haven't seen him for these questions so I figure to post before I go crazy from curiousity.

Parhelia outputs 10:10:10:2 when in gigacolour, yeah? If Alpha channel doesn't really exist other than for dithering between the RGBs for transparency effects, wouldn't it have the same amount of colours to work with as the more common 8:8:8:8?

Same amount, but not the same ones.

1024*2=2048
    256*8=2048

I can see the problem where sometimes the intended colour isn't displayed, but I have yet to see that. It has always looked better to me.

Also, Haig says when DVI is used gigacolour is turned off, so it didn't matter if you turned it on via drivers. But with my LCD I can clearly see the difference. Is it just internal colour precision then? However, I remember on an IBM T85D, under gigacolour where the monitor couldn't display it correct it would go to a random colour.

Using Warcraft 3 as an example, when using the signal(alt-G) on the mini map there would either be red or yellow marks. All players except for red would flag yellow on the minimap, whereas normally it would be whatever colour that player is. On this LCD that does not happen.

Gigacolour restriction on triplehead: Is it just the 3rd head not able to show it or is it the card not being able to render in gigacolour all together?

Offsite linkage to 2 screenies. Top is 8bit, Bottom is 10bit gigacolour. The game is AOM at 3072X768 2XAF and 16XFAA on(hence the font corrupt)

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
    ASUS A7N8X
    Corsair 1GB PC3200
    Parhelia 128MB
    EIZO L685EX

Sub Domain has changed. I'll get the screens up again later tonight.

If no one here is allowed to disclose any information please let me know and I'll contact Matrox directly. I just figured some that are highly knowledged in this topic would know.

edit: Uploaded
    Last edited by XHotKolaX; 18 April 2003, 20:01.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
    ASUS A7N8X
    Corsair 1GB PC3200
    Parhelia 128MB
    EIZO L685EX

Comment

Working...
    X