Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marvel to revoke Sony's SPIDERMAN license?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel to revoke Sony's SPIDERMAN license?

On The Drudge Report today;

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED APRIL 16, 2003 18:04:38 ET XXXXX

SEALED PAPERS: MARVEL ASKS COURT TO REVOKE SONY'S 'SPIDERMAN' LICENSE

**Exclusive**
    **Must Credit Drudge Report**

SONY may be on the verge of losing its SPIDERMAN blockbuster franchise, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal, after MARVEL CHARACTERS INC. accuses the Japanese media giant of fraudulent inducement to make a contract and engaging in unfair competition.

MORE

Sealed court papers show MARVEL wants to revoke SONY's SPIDERMAN license, it has been learned.

Both sides are set to square off on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court before Judge Alexander Williams III.

The first SPIDERMAN grossed $403,706,375. With a lucrative sequel pending, and a planned SPIDERMAN 3, the case has quickly become top draw on Litigate Lane.

MORE

MARVEL wants to revoke the SPIDERMAN license; MARVEL wants injunctive relief, and is asking the court to enjoin SONY from going forward with the SPIDERMAN license, insiders tell DRUDGE.

The loss of SPIDERMAN could affect all of SONY's future financial plans for its U.S. entertainment company.

MARVEL accuses SONY of literally kidnapping Spidey.

MARVEL is not upset about the way SONY made the movies; it's about the way SONY is handling the merchandising.

MARVEL retained merchandising rights but agreed to a joint venture for some of the SPIDERMAN merchandising, insiders say.

In sealed papers, MARVEL says SONY should not continue advertising SPIDERMAN as a SONY character and marketing him as such through a constellation of SONY consumer products.

SONY had courted MARVEL very aggressively to get the licensing rights and promised the merchandising joint venture would not interfere with the comic co's own merchandising.

MARVEL is accusing SONY of doing everything it can to disassociate SPIDERMAN and MARVEL in the minds of retailers.

MARVEL also feels SONY has wrongfully withheld several millions of dollars it is owed.

Developing...
    Like Drudge or not, he does get more than his share of scoops.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 April 2003, 09:27.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Not sure if this is good or bad news, at least the X-Men are OK so far.

J1NG

Comment

X-men is WB not Sony, afaik.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes, but Marvel can still pull the same thing to Fox (It's Fox, but who cares ).

J1NG

Comment

I hope they don't - X-men was a really good movie, even for someone like me who never read a marvel comic - though maybe pople who HAVE read marvel comics might want to differ

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No, don't want to differ, not here anyway. I liked it. Lots.

J1NG

Comment

X-Men was a good movie, it'd be a pitty to ax X-men 2...

~Sethos
              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by J1NG
                Yes, but Marvel can still pull the same thing to Fox (It's Fox, but who cares ).

J1NG
                It's not Marvel pulling anything - Sony's very good at screwing partners. I don't have all the facts, but past experience says that Marvel is just trying to avoid being stomped. Then again, Marvel has been known to give partners (Stan Lee) a % of net, rather than gross, profits -- Marvel then makes the net approximately zero, but makes $10s of millions for themselves along the way.
                Last edited by Wombat; 17 April 2003, 14:04.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Better get that dvd soon..

Comment

Working...
                  X