Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to share ADSL with extra PC that can't see existing network.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to share ADSL with extra PC that can't see existing network.

Currently there are 5 PCs on a network sharing the ADSL connection on one of the PCs (currently a USB modem).

I need to share the ADSL connection with a 6th PC that must not be allowed to 'see' the existing PCs across the network.

Any suggestions as to how to do this in hardware (I don't want to install software firewalls) as security is paramount.

Obviously the modem will need to be replaced, and presumably I will need a switch?

No philosophical arguments or attempts to persuade me to use software please, but I will be very gratefull for suggestions of a topology and specific kit.

TIA

T.
    FT.

If you don't want it to see the other compuers, are you talking Network neighborhood, or not be able to ping them?

I am looking for a similar solution..so I can share my neighbors high speed connection, without them seeing my computers, as in something that will block Netbios Packages to a specific port on a router.. not sure if there is such a beast out there
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

MAybe there are some routers that allow what you want...

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

There are such features on high end switches called "private vlans". AFAIK, these features do not exist on lower end devices. Since they need to share the same internet gateway, I really can't see how you can do this unless you buy a REAL router and have the devices on two different subnets. Then you need a third subnet for the DMZ out to the internet.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Install a second Lan card on the Gateway.
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
            Install a second Lan card on the Gateway.

The gateway is a USB Modem, this would not be feasible unless he purchased a router. Not what Linksys calls a router but a REAL router.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

1. what about setting 6th machine to be in the DMZ, but it would have to run its own firewall....which you don't want

2. Mandrake has a multinetwork firewall distrobution that can route and firewall at least 2 different networks...requirers a dedicated machine to run?

3. Their is a Billion adsl modem that has usb and an ethernet connector. Both can be used at the same time for different machines, but I am not sure if the internal router to the modem would effectively put them on the same network!?

I think whatever your solution short of duplicating and adding addtitonal (expensive) routing hardware, would require software!

Comment

Install a Linksys BEFSR11 between the PC and the existing hub/switch, set it to run as a router rather than gateway, setup filters to block NetBios packets and any others you don't want it to receive.

The 6th PC would have to be on a seperate network ie. if the other PC's are on a 192.168.0.x network then put it on a 192.168.1.x network. The router would have the WAN side set to 192.168.0.x and the LAN side to 192.168.1.x
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks.
                  It's also been suggested that a Draytek 2600 will do everything I need. Any opinions on that?

Cheers

Tony.
                  FT.

Comment

It's just an ADSL router, I can't see how you can use that to prevent one PC seeing the others

The Drayteks are also a bit weird when it comes to configuring them to.
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                      Thanks.
                      It's also been suggested that a Draytek 2600 will do everything I need. Any opinions on that?

Cheers

Tony.
                      This will not work. This device falls into the "I call myself a router but I am not really a router" category. Unfortunately, you will have to spend several hundred dollars probably to accomplish what you want. Look for Cisco 2600 on ebay, maybe you cna find a good price. But keep in mind this is a modular router so you will need the proper modules too.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                        This device falls into the "I call myself a router but I am not really a router" category.
                        A residential gateway in other words , the Linksys can run like that or as a router, setup as the later is should do what he wants should it not

Comment

I don't think Linksys has such a device that can have seperate subnets on the same device. Show me which model you are referring to and I will tell you if it can, but I am 99% sure it cannot.

Dave

Comment

The Linksys BEFSR41, look under the Dynamic Routing section. I could try experimenting with my own one but it's currently being used for my internet connection

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                              I don't think Linksys has such a device that can have seperate subnets on the same device...
                              Do you mean having two different networks on the LAN side, if that's the case then no your right it wont do it. I was thinking more of using inbetween the two LAN's.

Comment

Working...
                              X