Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurm's Ongoing Health Saga

Well, I'm starting to do better.

As some of you may recall, last fall (September - November) I had a "mystery illness". It turned out, most likely, to be an acute case of food poisoning gone horribly wrong.

That's all cleared up. The only lingering effects are some weight loss (50 pounds that I didn't really need anyway) and eye floaties - which I've learned to live with and may have been coincidental. *shrug*

-------------------------------

Well, off and on throughout the winter EVERYONE here has been sick. In addition to the Norwalk Virus (which was pretty terrible in this area, lemme tell you!) there seems to be some OTHER virus floating around which lives in the head/chest and makes one prone to repeated sinus/ear/chest/throat infections.

It's going around everywhere, so we hardly feel "alone" in the matter.

Well, at any rate, about a month and a half ago Logan, Julie and I got yet ANOTHER sinus infection. (Third time this winter!)

What was different this time was that my ears started ringing like mad. Turns out it was ALSO an ear infection.

Well, some antibiotics and decongestants later... the pain was gone, but not the ringing... or pressure.

Turns out there was still fluid in my ears. GREAT. Both Julie and Logan's ear infections went away... then came back, and they needed another round of antibiotics! Ouch!

Well, as recently as a week and a half ago, I still had fluid in my ears. Monday I saw an ear doctor, who said "well they have finally drained", and took me off all the medicine I had been put on. His hope is that as I continue to get better from this winter's virus and as my body gets cleared of all the medications... that the ringing and pressure will subside.

I hope so too.

Basically now what I get is varying levels of ringing and/or pressure, depending on the time of day (worse after the sun sets), where I am (worse in PA than in MA), and what I'm doing (opening and closing car doors sets it off).

Just walking from room to room causes the ringing to change due to pressure changes. Driving along on a mostly level road, I'll hit a small hill and my ears will plug and/or pop. This is a TOTALLY bizarre thing for me, because I've NEVER had these kind of problems in my life. Normally, I'm the guy who's on a plane looking at all the uncomfortable gum-chewing people clutching their ears and going "what's their problem?".

Anywho, the working theory is that my eustacian tubes are not 100% up to par yet, due to long illness... and that some time off the medication (I was on Pseudoephedrine, Allegra/Fexofenadine, and Rhinocort - a nasal steroid) will help.

In the meantime, I'm cleaning out my system again. Nothing but a multivitamin and lots of water for this fella - and the occasional aspirin/ibuprofen since being off the decongestants has caused a few sinus headaches to crop up in the past day or two.

Keep yer fingers crossed.

It's even worse that I'm trying to deal with packing, moving, and finding a new job right now as well. Not easy under the best of circumstances.

*sigh*

Such is my life.

- Gurm
    Last edited by Gurm; 16 April 2003, 04:55.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Just hope SARS never reaches your area, you seem to be a illness magnet.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

No kiddig. Julie and I have been illness magnets since... I dunno since we started dating.

I think it's our combined immune systems. Bleh.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Gurm,

Well I hope that you keep on the mend and things start going better for you and yours

Something to try for your ears...

A Teacher of mine had the same thing happen to her ears, and so she bought one of those ambient noies thingies that play like running rivers, seaguls blah.... anywho, she said that it helped her not to consentrate on it as much, might at least help if not stop it (not likely to be a cure...) but at least not be as noticable...

~Sethos
        "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I think what you need to do is get outside and play some football.

Comment

JUST incase you haven't tried this, when opening and closing a car door, crack the window slightly. That will prevent rapid changes in pressure which should help some. From what you mentioned it little bit would help.

I have never had that type of problem/illness and truly hope I never do. The worst type of illness is always the lingering one.

Get Well,

Riktar

PS: Avoid using the boomstick if you can.
            Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Have you ever wondered if your environment might be a factor with your health?
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                I think what you need to do is get outside and play some football.
                Yep some light contact football would do ya good. We'll invite Greebe up and I'm sure he'd take it easy on ya

knock those pesky germs right outta ya
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                  Yep some light contact football would do ya good.
                  Aaah, you mean the true form of football where you actually use your feet...

Hope everything settles to the better Gurm.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                    Aaah, you mean the true form of football where you actually use your feet...
                    No, the kind where big fat dumb guys get paid millions of dollars a year for running into each other. His favorite.

Comment

I second the sport suggestion.

Eeat some mediteranean food, fruit, olive oil, etc....

Strenghten your immune system.

Comment

Yeah. I'm working on it.

Step 1: I dropped everything unnatural from my diet. Cut out all the medications, and started tanking up on water.

Step 2: Change environment... this is a no-brainer. We're moving! But in the meantime, I'm in Massachusetts (looking for apartments and then having Easter with family) for 5 days... ought to help a little, at least.

Step 3: Get some exercise.

We'll see how it works out.

Sethos:

I haven't gotten a masker yet, they make some really excellent ones for people with tinnitus. I may get one eventually. Basically I'm coping for now, because this doesn't seem to be typical tinnitus. I mean, I had mild tinnitus before this ... lay down at night and hear it go off a bit... or go from a noisy environment to a quiet one, and hear it. This is different, it's much louder, the pitch changes depending on the time of day, pressure, etc. and it's coupled with pressure in the ears.

I figure since I'm off the meds, one of three things will happen:

1. System clears up, and I get better.
                        2. System clears up, and I stay the same.
                        3. The infection that the meds were holding back rears up in full force, and it can be fixed.

At any rate, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep y'all informed.

- Gurm

Comment

woah! what a terrible experience

Hope that stuff will never come back to you + julie!

speaking of ears ringing like mad, I used to have them too. It was few years ago when me + family were playing fireworks. The fireworks didn't seem to launch so i went foreward. And when i did, the thing exploded sideways... good thing i have some very heavy coats on. the coat was completely destroyed. and my ears started ringing like hell...

how it's fine.. but for some reason, there seem to be some fluid inside my right ear every time I catch a cold. Went to doctor and got some medicine... doesn't seem to work well... so I decide to go for chinese herbs... seem to be improving! its a miracle!

Comment

I too have tried some herbs, and they seem to be doing SOMETHING at least.

- Gurm

Comment

Working...
                            X