High profile lesbian weddings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High profile lesbian weddings!

Well, it's in the news - Melissa Etheridge is engaged again.

Well, not really engaged, since you can't actually MARRY another woman, at least not in most states. But you know what I mean.

Let's just hope that this time her partner doesn't "go straight" again on her after a couple years.

I find it amusing (to say the least) that there seems to be a trend in Hollywood... butch lesbian types keep losing their "spouses" to ... well ... guys.

Take Ellen Degeneres and Anne Heche. Now, Annie has been around. They hook up, they're all happy. I can understand it - Ellen is a pretty good looker... for a guy.

But pretty soon, Anne starts flirting with guys, and then one day BAM! she's out the door and in the space of 6 months shacks up with a half dozen guys, finally marrying one of them. Hot Damn!

Then you get Melissa Etheridge. She swipes Lou Diamond Philips' wife (ALWAYS a bad idea to swipe some guy's wife, honestly). They have a kid together. Well, let's be honest... Julie Cypher has David Crosby's kid. And then one day Julie says "you know, I like guys" and bails out. Oops! I wonder if Lou will have her back?

I'm waiting for news on Rosie's impending breakup, except that both she AND her "spouse" seem pretty butch, so it might work out.

Comments and thoughts on this? Despite my glibness and sarcasm, I'm not opposed to homosexuals in any way. I just find it interesting that there seems to be this trend of lesbian celebrities "turning" previously straight celebrity types who then "revert" in just a short time.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I think some people just don't know if they're straight or gay (does one say gay when one means lesbians, too? And is "gay" an erm... "unfriendly" word?) or bi, and many celebrities think "being lesbian is in", so they live out their fantasies/insecurities - with all the world knowing, of course. They then decide it's not their thing, and are straight again. Or they are just bi, and the women they've been with weren't the right ones for them (hollywood marriages tend to be quite short anyway, with a few exceptions).

Or maybe they just live out their curiosity, and then learn they're straight.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I tend to agree with you, Az.

I think that a lot more of the population is bisexual than we would care to admit...

In other times with more open societies there was a predominance towards bisexuality and/or homosexuality. Take ancient Rome and Greece for example.

But yes, I think that these celebrity women flirt with the idea of bisexuality or lesbianism, and sadly they end up involved in this high-profile lesbian relationship. Then when the novelty wears off and/or the relationship starts to turn sour, they decide that they really kinda miss... at the risk of being crass... a nice stiff one now and again.

*shrug*

Reportedly this particular time around, Etheridge's gal-pal is a tried-and-true lesbian as opposed to a "borrowed bisexual", so maybe it'll work out.

Then again, part of me thinks that sleeping with her or Ellen Degeneres would make ANYONE prefer men.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Yup. Sexuality is, IMHO, a sliding scale. Some of us are more at the straight end, some at the bent end... and some somewhere in the middle. (maybe it's more a "sliding walking-stick" than "scale" then...).

But here I think the song "dedicated follower of fashion" comes to mind
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

ever thought about the possibility that it wasn't love in first place, but rather an oppurtunity to "go out with a celebrity" ???
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Nah. These other people are celebrities in their own rights. Anne Heche is a decent actress, with no shortage of gigs in tinseltown. Julie Cypher made a decent name for herself, not just as "the wife of Lou Diamond Philips" or "the Significant Other of Melissa Etheridge".

*shrug*

- Gurm

Comment

thanx Gurm, those other names didn'T sound familiar to me and hence my presumption ...
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

to be honest ... i am all out of words at the moment..... to tierd to realy post something worthwile ... so this apology.... no i am NOT gay
                "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

You certainly spend a lot of time telling us that you are not gay, Spiral.

Comment

hehe, in a deleted scene from "back to the future",
                    Doc brown says
                    "Whats wrong with being GAY???"
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

"Gay" used to mean simply, "filled with, expressing,inclined to, joy and lively feeling; merry, light-hearted, cheerful; conveying sense of gaiety and liveliness."

You used to be able to call someone "gay" and simply mean he or she was happy and carefree. Now you don't dare say it unless you know. Its been appropriated by a political/social movement.

Dammit, I want the word "Gay" back!

Kevin

Comment

Who invented the current usage of the word gay anyway? The homosexuals or homophobics? And in which context is it used more often now, friendly to homosexuals, or unfriendly?

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Actually it is now the common teen slang word for umm.. what's the closest meaning now? Lame? That's how it is most commonly used now.

It was adopted by gays themselves to "describe their outlook", I think.

What's sad now is there are people stuck with the word "Gay" as a surname. If you watch the movie "Midway", you will see a US navy officer who observed the whole battle while stuck in the ocean in a life vest. His name is Ensign George Gay.

Last edited by KvHagedorn; 16 April 2003, 17:57.

Comment

Off topic

hmm... the topics on MURC used to be...

1) Bananas
                            2) BBQ
                            3) Beer

now its...

1) Gay
                            2) Lesbian
                            3) Communist

Comment

You forgot Cheese.. actually the cheese has never gone out of the MURC.

Comment

Working...
                              X