Canadian people look here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian people look here

Is there any problem using US dollar travellers-cheques in Canada? I friend will be visiting USA & Canada later in the year and want to know what currencies to take. Its been about 7 years since I did the trip, but I think we mostly took Canadian dollars.

Thanks

Toonie.
    FT.

The store I worked in accepted US $ travellers cheques.. can't say for sure about every place, but I believe most places will take them.
    Every place here accepts Canadian dollars, and many also accepts US$ but not at a very good exchange rate.
    You can bring credit cards and pay with those, they are accepted pretty much everywhere.
    Where in Canada are you going?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

No problems at all, you may just get stung a bit on the exchange at the retailer. You would have no problem at the bank though.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

When Canadians visit me or my friends, they just hit the ATM. Credit cards are also a good idea, but be very careful - some cards charge exorbitant fees for the currency change, find out which of your cards is "safe."
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There is no problem in a big store like Costco, but in a small places like a 'Subway' or even 'Safeway' won't accept them.

Comment

It would be best to cash in some travellers cheques at a bank or currency exchange place at the start of each day. Most hotels will do this for you as well. Most retailers give an exchange rate of 1.2 -1.4, when the bank will give you at least 1.45 these days.
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll pass that on.

BTW, was a 'toonie' a 2 dollar coin, iirc?

no offense Joonie
              FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                BTW, was a 'toonie' a 2 dollar coin, iirc?
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

As was said, most will accept but screw you with the exchange.
                  #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                  people do all day!"

Comment

Bring all the US money you got, we'll take it

Cheers,
                    Elie

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
                      Bring all the US money you got, we'll take it

Cheers,
                      Elie
                      at par.

and we will match any and all prices on computer hardware.... that are higher than ours.
                      Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

@Elie. So true, in here we treat them like gold

Especially when you are willing to use US money as canadian dollars

Comment

Working...
                        X