Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parhelia and nVidia nForce2 boards - Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and nVidia nForce2 boards - Problems?

Hi!

Maybe I'll get myself a new mainboard+ram+cpu!
    But I thought I have read about problems with the Parhelia and the nForce2 powered mainboards.
    My first choice is the EPOX EP-8RDA(+) right now.

Has anyone these parts and can write a comment?

Thanks in advance...
    cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
    ---
    Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
    JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
    Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

I just upgraded to a MSI nForce2 with Soundstorm and GeFart MX4... Parhelia works great, Soundstorm rocks SB Audigy in every way possible... all round best MoBo I have used in a very long time!

Have fun,
    Andrew
    nForce2 MX intergrated video is actually pretty darn good, but I do miss 16xFAA!?!? Way to go nVidia.

AMD XP2500
    MSI nForce2
    Tons of RAM
    Tons of HD space

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Do you have your CPU multiplier unlocked? Did you need any wire-tricks? Or have you even tried overclocking?

Comment

Yeah, works fine here. TBred-Bs are unlocked on the NF2 chipsets.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
        ASUS A7N8X
        Corsair 1GB PC3200
        Parhelia 128MB
        EIZO L685EX

Comment

Thanks, XHotKolaX

Comment

What about Bartons then?

Comment

I'm running the P. on an Epox 8rda+ and no problems yet.

It works superb!

And that is what bothers me, this card seems to be greatly engineared. I haven't got a single problem with it on the several hardware configurations I've tried.
              However the infamous banding problem drives me mad. Even editing video makes an awful banding on my second screen!
              <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

I just got an Epox 8RDA+ and I can't get it to post most of the time (averages 1 out of every 20 atempts) unless I swap out my P for my old Kyro II. Since the P uses twice the wattage of the Kyro II card. I think my Thermaltake 420 (PFC) PSU is too weak.

So if you get the board and you have problems getting it to post (code 29). Try replacing the PSU.
                I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by piaxVirus
                  Since the P uses twice the wattage of the Kyro II card. I think my Thermaltake 420 (PFC) PSU is too weak.
                  Sure that this really might be the PSU??

Parhelia just consumpts up to 36 Watts (peak). There should be no probs. with a 420 Watts psu. If using the TT-420APD you should have 40A on +5V and 30A on +3.3V. - Can't imagine, that's the psu. But try it, perhaps it's defective...

Comment

Originally posted by piaxVirus
                    Since the P uses twice the wattage of the Kyro II card. I think my Thermaltake 420 (PFC) PSU is too weak.

So if you get the board and you have problems getting it to post (code 29). Try replacing the PSU.
                    Hm, interesting, but I also don't think it's the PSU.
                    Maybe I can tell you more in 4-6 weeks.
                    My cousin needs a new system and maybe he get's my old 1.2GHz system.
                    cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                    ---
                    Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                    JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                    Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Comment

I disconnected most of my hardware, put in a 300 SPI PSU (which works better then the 420W Termaltake), and pulled all of my PCI cards. With only the P, an HD, and the floppy drive, I was able to boot the computer.

Just yesturday I picked up a new 400W SPI PSU and was able to add a second HD, PCI NIC, and second stick of ram.

Also, if I set the AGP mem to anything above 64MB it will get the same code 29 no matter what I have hooked up.

It looks like there is a problem with the mobo. I have only read about a hand full of ppl having this same problem and they all had different hardware configurations. I am going to use my power consumption meter on the computer tonight to see if there is any unusually high power draw.
                        Last edited by piaxVirus; 24 April 2003, 09:42.

Comment

probably the mobo...you wouldn't need that much power anyway...

tried a little BIOS flashing yet?

Comment

I had already flashed the bios and it made no difference.

I used my power consumption meter on it last night. The computer draws from the wall outlet only 105W at 100Mhz bus, 125W at 133Mhz bus, and 141W at 166Mhz bus. I am able to overclock without any problems, but if I have too many devices connected the board won't post.

Comment

Working...
                            X