FS: Frontier Labs NEX IIe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: Frontier Labs NEX IIe

I'm selling my new (used it only twice) Frontier Labs NEX IIe mp3/WMA-player / CF card reader/writer.

German user reviews can be seen here, they're all very happy with it.

This mp3 player has NO built-in memory, instead, it takes standard compact flash cards (type I and II), and Microdrives (currently up to 1 GB). This means you can use your CF card from your digicam (the cam will ignore the mp3 files, and the mp3 player will ignore the images), and you can use CF cards like cartridges. It reads and writes only FAT16, which is what virtually all digital cameras use, and all PCs understand.

It does not need any special software to transfer data (you just use the windows explorer, where it'll be shown as a removeable drive). You don't even need a driver for WinXP, and there is a driver CD for Win98SE (and possibly ME, 2000). It connects via USB.

It works with 2 AA batteries or accus, has a USB cable and 230V AC adaptor supplied, includes a small padded protection bag and some weird "clip-on-your-ear"-phones, which sound surprisingly good (not audiophile, obviously, but better than I suspected), and are surprisingly comfortable.

Its sound quality is quite good, and it includes an equalizer (with presets and freely programmable) to shape the sound to your liking. Battery life should be ~15 hours with a CF card, and 7 hours with a microdrive. I've used a Microdrive, but I haven't tested if those battery life claims are true (but have no reason to doubt them).

I'm selling it because it has a few quirks I don't like: I've used weak batteries, and when they're empty, it doesn't shut down, but instead the display flickers and you have to take the batteries out to shut it down! This is normal behaviour, and no reason to worry, but it really annoys me. I don't like such unpolished products. Plus, it supports folders, but only one level - so I can't just copy my mp3s from my harddisk, because they're n folders like "\REM\Automatic For The People\01 - Drive.mp3". This is a minor annoyance, because I could just copy and rename the folders, but still...

Mine is matte black (looks like metal, but is plastic - but seems durable enough for me, especially with the small pouch, which has windows for the display and buttons). The area around the display can be changed in color with "NEXkins", of which 6 (or 5?) are included - a black one, a white one, yellow, red, and some other colors I can't think of at the moment, because I like it totally black It really looks good with the blue-lit display, and it's smaller than a pack of cigarettes (90x60x20 mm).

I'm selling mine for 100-110 EUR, plus shipping. It cost ~130 EUR new, and I really have barely used it, and you get 22 1/2 months waranty with it left (I'll include the original receipt), so my price is quite near the original still. But it's as good as new

I'll take and upload pics this evening, I guess. If anyone wants a close-up or some special pic, just ask.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

OK, here are some pictures.

The player with scrolling title display (had to make a longer exposure, thus the smearing)

The player with spectrum analyzer display

The player with yellow NEXkin

NEXkins

player in pouch

pouch (back view w/ belt clip)

complete contents of package

Earphones

carton

If anyone is interested, just write an answer in the thread, PM or Email me

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment