Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless ADSL share in large house - kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless ADSL share in large house - kit?

A friend wants to share their ADSL connection using wireless. The trouble is the house is enormous. The base would be on the ground floor, and the receiving end would be on the 3rd floor, through several very thick solid walls to a few rooms over. As you can imagine, running CAT5 here would be no-small job!

Any suggestions for kit that could do this comfortably gratefully received.

TIA

T.
    FT.

Err... 802.11b or 802.11g ought to do it... or you could use one of those "share through your power plugs" kits, or a "share through the phone plugs" kit.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Linksys makes a Signal booster as well for their 11b products, many have used it on 11g products with good success...
      Find a good retailer that has a liberal return policy and try it out...

or go with the outlet network as Grum mentioned....

Craig
      1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

802.11g should be just fine. If it's not, running one cable to get a 2nd wireless node up to the 3rd floor (or hidden in the attic) shouldn't be too bad.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks guys. They also have ~6 DECT phones that they make extensive use of, and apparently someone in the past had problems setting up wireless in there ( I don't know any more details than that). At the moment, I like the look of the mains stuff at http://www.mutek.co.uk/acatalog/Ethe...ns_wiring.html

Cheers

T.
          FT.

Comment

The HomePNA 2.0 (10MBps through phone plugs) or Ethernet over Powerline (10MBps on the mains) should work better than the 802.11a/b/g unless they want to invest in enough equipment to:

A/ make it safe against wardriving (i.e. ppl using their network/internet connection for free)

B/ make sure they get more than 2MBps and various disconnections. It depends on the locations, it might as well work like a charm but somehow I fear it's not what you meant by saying that the signal would go "through several very thick solid walls " (also wireless= increased lag).

Cat5(5e/6e) would be best, but anything not wireless will do (until they get the standard to some decent security level -unless they want to buy some Cisco gear with its own security protocols...)

Comment

A/ make it safe against wardriving (i.e. ppl using their network/internet connection for free)
              Safe gaurding a Wireless connection is Very simple, and can be acheived in many ways, all of which are usual features of an access points on the market today...
              Don't broadcast the SSID
              Filter MAC addresses - ie allow only those from the people that are authorized for access
              WEP Encryption...

Craig
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

yeah, dream on

Comment

Do you lock your house??
                  Do you lock your car??

Nothing is safe if the right person whats in...

Craig

Comment

no, but wireless permits intruders to sit comfortably in their car while they try to break in into your system. Sure beats the common thief...

anyway, what you described is the bare minimum required for running a WiFi network, but it's short of enough. Face it, WiFi is not ready for mass usage. There's progress everyday but you can't seriously recommend it without warning the people of the risk they're taking. Someone wardriving will probably skip to the next network if you implement what you said, but if that person wants to enter he's got all the automation tools he needs, it's not like he'd have to try very hard.

Comment

Working...
                    X