counterstrike server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counterstrike server

I have started getting into CS recently. I have a load of old friends from Uni that moved on years ago. We meet up for the occasional LAN party. I thought that it would be cool to use a spare box and run a dedicated linux CS server....

How easy is this to do???
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

quite easy - if you have enough upload, something over 300-400 mhz "fast" and above 128 mb ram (for a basic server).

setting up the non-official admin-tools (quite a lot available nowadays) can be a bit tricky.

mfg
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I downloaded hlds_l_3110_full.bin but i don't know what to do with it... Isobuster doesn't seem to recognise it...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

a bin file? it used to be a tar.gz file, at least under linux. but that was ... maybe 2 years ago.

STFW!

back then it was: d/l, unpack files, start the server with the correct parameters, gogogo!

[edit] just found something:

TO INSTALL: Make the downloaded file executable (chmod u+x hlds_l_3109_upgrade.bin) then execute it (./hlds_l_3109_upgrade.bin).
        mg
        wulfman
        "Lobsters?"

Comment

you take the point!

Comment

yeah - it is a bin file.... any idea what i should do with it???

Comment

read what I edited in my posting.

are you using windows or linux?

mfg
              wulfman
              "Lobsters?"

Comment

linux - cheers, i'll let you know how i get on!

Comment

bugger - i didn't downlod the CS server, just the HLDS... oh well - see you in an hour!

Comment

woohoo

Its working great! I threw on adminmod and statsme - took a while to get them to work, but it was nothing short of my tiredness at fault.

Anyway, I am off to bed now (1am).

Thanks for all the help!

Oh - I would appreciate it if anyone can try and see if they can connect as their is a fair bit of automagical routing going on. Although i don't expect there will be any problems.
                    The ip is 217.155.52.246. -excuse the profanity on the MOTD

night night

Comment

congrats.

hm. 2am here, exam in ... 8 hours. should go to bed too.

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Lobsters?"

Comment

np, I saw that three people were playing so i joined in

there were getting pings of ~150 which is kinda ok considering i have eDonkey churning away.

Comment

anyone know how to make it run as a service??? At the moment, i am starting the server though PuTTY. This is OK, but as soon as i close the terminal window it kills the server

Comment

iirc, add a & at the end of the line. but don't trust me this early in the morning.

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Lobsters?"

Comment

No, that won't do it, that will just make it a background job, which will still die when the window closes. You could make it run as a service, but I think that you'd rather use <A HREF="http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/help/tutorials/screen/">screen</A> to make it so that the terminal window does not die when you close putty.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X