Mystique/RRS won't capture w/ 2nd vidcard installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystique/RRS won't capture w/ 2nd vidcard installed

Whenever I install another (AGP) video card on my system, the RRS won't capture.
    Is there any way I can have another video card in my system aside from my Mystique 220/RRS? I tried an NVIDIA and it gave me a message that said something like it needed Matrox Power Desk. I concluded that it would work with a Matrox AGP card. I purchased a G100 Productiva, same results. It kept saying the wrong drivers were installed though I tried all my Power desk drivers from the oldest to the newest. I have to keep the RRS within the system. But my 4mb Mystique can't play DVDs and DiVXs smoothly. Hope you can suggest a way.
    system specs:
    Processor Athlon 1500+ Palomino
    Motherboard MSI 745 Ultra w/ SiS 745 chipset
    Memory 256mb Kingmax DDR333, 1 stick
    Video Card Matrox Mystique220 4mb w/ RRS on 2nd PCI slot from the top
    IDE Controller Promise Ultra 66 controller on 3rd PCI slot from the top
    Sound Card Diamond MX300 Sound Card (Aureal Vortex 8830 chipset) on 5th PCI slot
    Hard Disk Western Digital 30gb 300BB, master on 1st IDE channel
    CD Writer LiteOn 12X burner, slave on 1st IDE channel
    DVD Player LiteOn 16X DVD, master on 2nd IDE channel
    Hard Disk Maxtor 80gb DM+9, master on Promise IDE controller
    Power Supply Enermax 350W, enhanced 12V rail
    CPU Fan Global Win SAK38
    Case fans Assortment of 4 80mm fans

Dual boot 98SE and Windows 2000. 98SE purely for capturing purposes. Win2K for everything else.

I posted the same question on the Matrox Tech Support forums but my thread got locked (I don't know why) before I got to see any responses. Maybe I violated some rule or what. Don't know if the same will happen here but I need to get an answer.
    Thanks in advance

Hi seems your issue is that dvd and divx playback is not up to snuff? I'm using a RRS & mystique 220 on a 850 PIII no problem with either.Both play very smooth. I have a Diamond 3dII PCI display card in as well. Coincidently I have a MX300 sound card also.win 98se. Could it be a software problem( dvd player)?
    smitty

Comment

The card the RRS is attached to must be the PRIMARY display, usualy this is set in the bios.

eg put in your AGP card and set the bios to boot using the PCI card (RRS)

Comment

Hmmm...
        Marshmallowman, I was thinking along the same lines and the motherboards I had prior to this one had a BIOS item along that line, you could pick which (AGP or PCI) video card would be the primary display. But this one does not provide that option. Shall I ditch the mobo??? that is still cheaper than buying another capture card which will give me the same quality the RRS (old but great) provides.

Smitty, the DivX and DVD display shows artifacts in full-screen mode (I have a 17" MAG 1024x768 @ 16bit) especially while panning. No problem if movie is showing in a small window, say, 150% of resolution. I am using Power DVD.

Comment

Well if there is no option in the bios you might be stuck with changing hardware.

The RRS is getting a bit old, another card and you won't be stuck with win98 for captures.

in win2k you can(?) specify the primary display card in the display properties...but you might be stuck finding win2k capture drivers for the RRS.

Comment

This is what I was afraid of. Yup the RRS is old. And dual booting is sometimes a pain. If only I could save up some thousands to buy a worthwhile capture card.

Comment

Working...
            X