Cannot delete files...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot delete files...

Ok, so I went to delete some files, but I couldn't since it told me they were locked by another app. So i reboot in safe mode (running XP Pro) and go to delete them. Same error. They're not "read only". WTF?

Try running check disk. It's fixed similar problems for me.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Yeah, I've had Office cause that to happen.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Are they movie files? I managed to delete them, just forgot how I did it... from the console, maybe?

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

In case of movie files (AVIs), see this:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid
            In case of movie files (AVIs), see this:

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40503
            Yup, they sure are movie files...I'll give that a go when I get home.

Wombat: I don't run MS Office, I use Openoffice.

agallag: Ran chkdsk a few times

I didn't try booting in DOS and trying to delete, but that was gonna be my fallback. Hopefully now I won't have to.

Comment

great how to link, thanx...

~Sethos
              "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Easiest solution is to use Directory Opus or Powerdesk as your File Manager. Both of them will delete the files even though the Windows File Manager says otherwise.

Comment

Cool, didn't know they had D. Opus for Windows, I loved the old version I had on my Amiga eons ago more than the one that came with Amiga Forever.

Comment

IMHO, Directory Opus 6.2.5 is the most advanced file manager out there for Windows. (Read: Useful )

Comment

Linkage/info/screenshot on Opus?

Comment

Linkage
                        Info
                        Screenshots
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'm using Directory Opus
                          It's great!
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                          X