Wireless access points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless access points

Anyone have any experances using one of these? Who makes the best one? Suggestions?

Thanks
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

The best one? Probably Cisco, but you'll pay a hefty premium, if you can even find one. They're generally not sold at retail. I have a netgear wireless/router/switch combo, and I'm quite happy with it so far. The linksys ones are pretty popular as well, so they're probably pretty decent. Linksys is usually cheaper too. Of course, linksys is now owned by cisco, so who know what that will mean in the future...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

You want to be looking at ones which support the new wireless G standard as they can run at 54Mbps.

More info and a list of equipment supporting it here :- http://www.54g.org/
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Linksys still has pretty iffy quality. After buying my router, I started reading the tech support forums, Linksys firmwares seem to always break one thing when trying to fix another.

Another brand to look at: Netgear. Around the same price point as Linksys, not as popular, but the people that I know that have them are happy.

Avoid: D-Link, especially their wireless stuff. Belkin is average quality with high prices.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

First you have to decide on which kind of wireless you want...
          11a, 11b, or the newer 11g

I tried 11a, and had trouble with range, it wasn't that great - it was a netgear, product seemed well made though the transmittion type didn't fare well in my install...

I now have a Linksys 11g, so far so good, but I'm not wow'ed over or anything... Tech support is spotty...
          The product works well, and now that Cisco bought them they are alittle more appealing...

Craig
          1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

You don't need to choose between b and g. G is backwards compatible. There's very little reason for home owners to want 11a now that 11g is around.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Might want to read on on this site, SmallNetBuilder
              he reviews quite a few products and it quite thurough...

his site did crash alittle while back though, some links are not complete just yet...

the 5Ghz frequency was appealing since it would not be interfered with by household noise... ie microwave, cordless phones etc...
              G is a better choice in the long run...

Craig
              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                Another brand to look at: Netgear. Around the same price point as Linksys, not as popular, but the people that I know that have them are happy........
                Yup, got one of their routers and it's better than great
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

One really nice thing about netgear routers is the built in Dyndns.org client. Makes accessing my home network from work much easier.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                  X