Whats the deal with adding RDRAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with adding RDRAM?

System: Dell Dimension 8100, P4 1.4GHz, 100MHz FSB, 128Mb RDRAM, running XP like a dog.

The Dell web site says it has 2 banks of 2 slots, so presumably I can add another pair of RIMMs, and presumably they are only bought in pairs.

Dell point you to Kingston ram (KTD-DM800/512 for example), which is rather expensive. Can I buy any other make (e.g. http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp?action=info&p=19795 ) ?

TIA

Tony.
    FT.

128MB of ram is bare minimum to run XP.. get more.. and yes, RDRAM has to be installed in pairs
    I have never tried installing different kinds of ram in a DELL, but I see no reason why other makes of RDRAM would not work.
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
      128MB of ram is bare minimum to run XP.. get more.. and yes, RDRAM has to be installed in pairs
      I have never tried installing different kinds of ram in a DELL, but I see no reason why other makes of RDRAM would not work.

If it's a Dell, then its pretty sure bet that they have donme something to make it only accept "Dell, rimms" as they do with SDRAM
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

That was my concern. I've added/swapped DIMMs in Dells before, and had to put up with a warning form the BIOS at bootup, but otherwise it was fine.

T.
        FT.

Comment

and silly me thought that they used standard intel chipsets, which interface directly to the ram.. leave it to Dell to mess with that
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

most time I have tried to add "standard" memory that works in 99% of all other computers just wont boot in Dell POS systems

EDIT: Spleling
            Last edited by Technoid; 10 April 2003, 10:20.
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
            X