AT command, winXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT command, winXP

How do I schedule an AT command to run every day at a given time ? I've just had a slight computer breakdown (dead harddrive, followed by dead MB) and I want to make sure I don't lose data again.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Oh nevermind, figured it out

EDIT: or so I thought It's still not working, help would be appreciated
    Last edited by CHHAS; 10 April 2003, 00:54.

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I went with a real ghetto approach, but at least it's working, my batch file schedules the next run as the last step.

Comment

Err... an "AT" command?

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, AT, it's a scheduler for executing batch files, I just can't figure out how to make it run every day and not just once.

I have a file named c:\backup.cmd which contains this:

d:
          cd\
          xcopy /s /m /y data\*.* f:\backup
          c:
          at /delete /yes
          at 06:00 /interactive c:\backup.cmd
          at 11:00 /interactive c:\backup.cmd
          at 17:00 /interactive c:\backup.cmd
          at 21:00 /interactive c:\backup.cmd

Basicly what it does is copy all changed files from my data dir to the backup dir, I use AT to schedule when this should take place.

The AT help says that I can make it run every day, but it doesn't really say how. So I've opted for the ghetto approach of clearing all queued tasks and resetting them after each run.

Comment

Why not just use the "Scheduler in the control panel?

From Microsoft Knowledgebase article Q305613

Schedule the Task
            Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Scheduled Tasks.
            Double-click Add Scheduled Task, and then click Next.
            A list of programs that are available on your computer is displayed. If the program you want to schedule is in this list, click it, and then click Next. If the program you want to run is not in this list, click Browse to locate the program, click the program, and then click Open.
            When you receive a suggested name for the task, you can either accept the default name, or type another name. Click the interval you want to use for this task (daily, weekly, monthly, one time only, and so on). Click Next.
            If you chose to schedule the task daily, weekly, monthly, or one time only, you receive a time or date option. Choose the date or dates, time or times you want to schedule the task for, and then click Next.
            Type the user name and password. Make sure that the user name is in the domain\user format, where domain is your NetBIOS domain name, and user is the user account you want to schedule the task under. Click Next.
            Click Finish to schedule the task, and then verify that the task appears in the Scheduled Tasks box.
            Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Heh, high tech stuff, technology peaked with DOS I tell ya'!

Comment

I run a batch file from windows scheduler on ourserver every night copying my data drive at work to the backup drive.. then sends me a message to my workstation telling me that the backup was done.. works well
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yeah... umm...

Start->Control_Panel->Scheduled_Tasks

That's it.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Ahh... I just checked the windows scheduler, seems that AT is the DOS entrance to the same scheduler.

Comment

Using your DOS batch file, do you have problems with files not being backed up if they have a lock on them (eg, some other user has it open, or network hasnt released it after use yet)?

I use to back up almost exactly the same way, but was having the above problems.

Ali

Comment

I've had weird problems trying to schedule things with AT. Doing it through the gui seems more reliable.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Ali
                          Using your DOS batch file, do you have problems with files not being backed up if they have a lock on them (eg, some other user has it open, or network hasnt released it after use yet)?

I use to back up almost exactly the same way, but was having the above problems.

Ali
                          I'm on a singleuser system, but I'm pretty sure the problem would be there.

Comment

Working...
                          X