XP Home vs. Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Home vs. Pro

A friend of mine is about to buy XP Home, and I'm trying to convince him to go for Pro. He's a techie, so I know that there are services that are disabled in Home that he'll miss, but I can't remember what they are. Can anybody help?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Everything to do with networking.

I have spoken.

- Gurm

P.S. I think black viper (http://www.blkviper.com) has a list.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

or there if you like to offical one

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Home sux. Most of the cool options techies like dinking with to optimize the OS have been removed from Home to make it more 'consumer friendly.' If he has even an ounce of true techie in him, he needs to get Pro.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

oh no no no... pro is a MUST...I've not used home, but form people that I know that have, they say they hated it and upgraded to pro...

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

Home has:

- No SMP
            - No networking beyond "workgroup", and even that is only semi-functional
            - Crippled system restore
            - Virtually all networking removed
            - No remote desktop (no remote ANYTHING)
            - Multi-user logins are crippled

etc. etc.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

- No SMP
              does that mean that intels hyperthreading doesn´t work in xp home?
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I guess non-techies dun use HT

Comment

Big article to say that hyperthreading will work in Home.

Just don't remember where I read it.

but go pro anyway.

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

well, I bought the home edition a while ago, since i don´t really need all the extras the pro offers.

Im mostly using my computer for gaming, surfing and programming, so the pro seems to be overkill for me.

but my next cpu will probably have hyperthreading, since i guess that all high-end intel cpus will have that feature, from now on.
                    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Ayuh. And Home don't do HT, because HT is pretty much SMP.

Whoops! 'Course MS is sorta supporting AMD's 64-bit architecture, and AMD has no intention of using HT, so...

Hmm...

- Gurm

Comment

all varieties of XP support HT even home

One other issue was also addressed by Bill Siu and that’s the question whether older OSs would be able to benefit from HyperThreading, which won’t be the case, only Windows XP will be able to profit from this new feature. Surprising though was the fact that Windows XP Home Edition will also be able to profit from this, although it does not have SMP support and is unable to use more than one processor. Thus unfortunately Windows 2000 and Windows ME users will not be able to profit from the extra performance.
                        from

Comment

Windows 2000 actually does support HT, but it shows up as multiple processors. Apparently, XP and Server 2K3 know the difference between HT and multiple real processors, hence the support in XP Home. It's not really SMP, after all.
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I wouldn't call what W2K does support. Calling them two separate CPUs is probably slower than running standard Uni.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Got any stats to back that up, or are ya just guessing?
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X