• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB floppy disk striped raid under OS

USB floppy disk striped raid under OS http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

LOL
    Lawrence

Comment

Hmm... is this hi tech or lo tech (or ghetto)?
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Actually, If memory serves, I think the first proof-of-concept RAID array was a bunch of floppy drives.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

yes, that sounds familiar. (proof of RAID)

I have also seen tape drive RAID....for backing up BIG data sets with no tape swapping.

and cd rom raid,....was used for some kind web server application.

Comment

now that would be supurb for a ppt demonstration .. flawless
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
              yes, that sounds familiar. (proof of RAID)

I have also seen tape drive RAID....for backing up BIG data sets with no tape swapping.

and cd rom raid,....was used for some kind web server application.
              ..................and I have also seen dorm-raids to have quicker access to free alcohol while I was a student....
              Lawrence

Comment

The page cannot be displayed
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

GURU - you too?
                  Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                    GURU - you too?
                    Yes but now its working!
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

no problem accesing the page over here
                      Some people obviously has to much time :P

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hehe, nice. I actually used to jest about FDD RAID years ago. I just don't understand why he got so much LOSS. I mean his array was less then the capacity of 3 of the disks, yet it was FIVE disks. WTF?

Comment

Its most likely running on FAT8, and as we all know FAT16 was already inefficient - what else did you expect from a "transparent blue computer"...................
                          Lawrence

Comment

he may have been running raid 5 which has redundancy and is not simple striping.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                              he may have been running raid 5 which has redundancy and is not simple striping.
                              That's his point. Raid 5 costs you the capacity of one disk to store the parity information, but this guy's array was much smaller than it should've been, given the number of disks.

He has 5 disks, so his array should be

1.44MB X 5 - 1.44MB = 5.76MB

but his mounted drive was only 3.9MB. Where did the other 1.86 MB go?

Edit: even if you use formatted capacity, 1.38MB per disk, it's still missing a pile of space.
                              Last edited by agallag; 8 April 2003, 21:10.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X