VPN ports. PPTP and L2TP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN ports. PPTP and L2TP

Anyone here know the ports that need to be open for a VPN connection through a firewall? This is for a Linksys router if that matters.
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 7 April 2003, 11:38.

Found something that says:

PPTP 1723 UDP/TCP
    L2TP 1701 UDP/TCP

Is this all that need to be opened?

Comment

Another thread where High_Jumbllama asks a question and then spends the rest of the time answering the question.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When I have nothing better to do than search for an answer. THis ferequently happens. Right now I am answering phones until the compnay goes to its new location and I have nothing better to do than surf as everything is working.

I ask if it is somewhat time critical in case I do not figure it out . I saw different sites saying different ports so I was not sure.

Funny thing is that I almost gave myself motion sickness using RealVNC trying some things.

I use to have people give me things to find out or search for when I worked as a lab assistant at the University of Hartford to keep myself busy.

Comment

The Linksys supports VPN pass through which should mean you don't need to forward any ports. I've connected to a VPN server through mine, using SSH Sentinel as the VPN client software, and that worked fine.
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Does this mean that it will pull from the static pool that I've setup to assign an I.P. address to the connection and otherwise appear as a normal but slower network connection? I am new at VPN. In any case, I am leaving now to try it.

Comment

Basically it should recognise which local IP address the request came from and route the return packets back to that address.

What client software and VPN server are you using?
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Work Network-
                Linksys Router
                Win2kServer with bultin Routing and Remote Access software running and installed.

Home
                Linksys Router
                Win98SE Dial-UP Networking 1.3. Trying 1.4.

I was able to run a VPN connection to the Server from a amchine on the LAN, but I believe I am messing up something with the work router. Do I need to forward the ports to the 2K server? It refuses to authenticate. I am missing something, but I do not understand what yet.

Comment

I am taking my 98SE machine into work and seeing if it connects directly just to make sure the network allows a 98se machine to connect.

Edit:
                  Gonna update the firmware on the router. as well. There seems to be s problems associated with VPN and older Linksys firmware versions.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 7 April 2003, 18:26.

Comment

Got the firmware updated. It actually trashed the router for about 5 minutes. It only partially updated and I had to use the default password and try again which restored everything including the correct password.

Confirmed that the server is working with a Trace Route. Just gotta get it through the router. Gonna forward the ports.

Comment

This thread on Broadband Reports forum might be useful, specially the last post.

Forum discussion: We just ordered BellSouth ADSL, and we need to share the access with about 15 PC's / users, AND... host a VPN server on an NT4 server box. We need to be able to establish a VPN via laptop from our homes to the office (where Linksys will be installed)

Comment

Got it connected. I pulled a file, but even when I logged on I could not browse the network. If I tried to go to the server, I had to type in my username and password again. ANy ideas?

Comment

If you log into the PC with a username/password combination that's the same as one on the server it won't ask you to log in. I usually add the servers IP into the LMHOSTS file just to be on the safe side, that should help with the browsing as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X